Yellow Cab to provide transportation to Foxfield

Pick up location will be at Bonnycastle Circle

<p>Van der Linde said he expects prices to be between $20 and $40, depending on the time of day and traffic. If students would rather use the buses provided, there is&nbsp;a flat rate of $10 per person.</p>

Van der Linde said he expects prices to be between $20 and $40, depending on the time of day and traffic. If students would rather use the buses provided, there is a flat rate of $10 per person.

Student Council announced yesterday that Yellow Cab will provide transportation to and from the Foxfield Races April 30.

The service will operate from Bonnycastle Circle on Grounds, and Foxfield Taxi/Transportation Line at the races.

Yellow Cab owner William van der Linde said his company has transported University students to Foxfield in the past, although only on an on-demand basis. This year, in partnership with Student Council, van der Linde said Yellow Cab has developed a more efficient system.

“For the convenience of students, we’re going to have one specific pick-up point,” van der Linde said.

During each of the past few years, Yellow Cab has transported about 200 students to and from the races. With their centralized pick-up location and first-come-first-serve policy, the company expects to transport approximately 1000 students, van der Linde said, with each vehicle able to transport four to six passengers.

Yellow Cab has about 100 available vehicles for transportation. In addition to these cars, the company will provide buses for transportation, van der Linde said.

“Last year, 698 students were transported by the buses that were provided by the University,” van der Linde said. “There’s no way we could transport that many [students] just inside of our vehicles, so that’s why we have to supplement with buses.”

In order to ride in Yellow Cab’s vehicles, students must pay based on the company’s standard meter system. Van der Linde said he expects prices to be between $20 and $40, depending on the time of day and traffic. If students would rather use the buses provided, there is a flat rate of $10 per person.

To pay for this service, students can either use cash, credit or charge to their student account.

“We work with the Office of the Dean of Students and their Charge-a-Ride program,” van der Linde said. “You can simply show your student ID … and the trip gets billed to your student account.”

Student Council President Emily Lodge, a third-year Batten student, expressed her appreciation for Yellow Cab’s work.

“Yellow Cab came up with a great plan for getting students to Foxfield as quickly as possible,” Lodge said in an email statement. “Student Council is publicizing their plan as an option to safely get to Foxfield, and we are appreciative of their efforts to make transportation as easy and cost-effective for students as they can.”

Van der Linde said the service will be picking students up at Bonnycastle Circle from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. In an announcement from Student Council, Lodge said the highest demand for Yellow Cab’s services is expected to be between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m., during which time students can expect affected travel times and prices.

As an alumnus, van der Linde said he feels a deep connection to the University.

“It’s my alma mater,” he said. “I just want to be sure that every student who is currently there is as safe as I was when I was there.”