A&E's summer picks

<p>A&E's recurring playlist contains recommended jams and favorite tunes of the Arts & Entertainment staff.</p>

A&E's recurring playlist contains recommended jams and favorite tunes of the Arts & Entertainment staff.

Arts & Entertainment staff members compile a list of their current favorite tracks to help readers find their new go-to jam. Look out for occasional themed playlists and solid tracks from a wide range of genres every month.

1. "Check the Rhime" by A Tribe Called Quest

March saw the passing of A Tribe Called Quest’s Phife Dawg, a central member of one of the most influential groups in hip-hop history. ATCQ used bass and funk in new ways, and their fingerprints are still visible in modern rap music. “Check the Rhime” is a quintessential example of the group’s slick wordplay and energetic beats.

—Ben Hitchcock

2. “Mister” by Majical Cloudz

Perfect for the second coming of midterms. Devon Welsh's echoing of "Hey, Mister / Don't you want to be right here?" makes your mind wander away from the calculus in front of you to nicer lands — melancholic memories for any morning of the week.

—Marshall Perfetti

3. "Mistadobalina" by Del the Funky Homosapien

Del puts out a tight diss track — even against someone who doesn't exist. 1991 saw the beginning and end of Del's feud with the fictional "Bob Dobalina" — a name drawn from the Monkees' song "Zilch.” Del eviscerated this poser with his characteristically brainy verse.

—Paul Rohrbach

4. "Stay In My Corner" by The Arcs

Formed by The Black Keys' Dan Auerbach after drummer Patrick Carney suffered a shoulder injury, The Arcs were a means for Auerbach to produce music while Carney was in recovery. The band's 2015 release "Yours, Dreamily," has a similar bluesy, psychedelic tone as some of The Black Keys' material, but with a fuller, more layered sound. "Stay In My Corner" has a heavy rhythm bolstered by two drummers and and a standout bass line, balanced out by keys and slide guitar riffs. The Arcs are worth a listen for anyone interested in The Black Keys, but looking for a slightly more composed sound.

—John Mattingly

5. “Another Story” by The Head and the Heart

An acoustic song is always key to calm the stress. Josiah Johnson's voice and lyrics produce a relaxing yet uplifting feeling. A mix of many acoustic instruments like the piano, drums, violin and guitar create a mix of calm and upbeat tempos that keep you awake and relaxed.

—Claudia Castaneda

6. "White Iverson" by Post Malone

While lyrics like "Saucin', saucin', I'm saucin' on you" might not be the most complex of the era, the song is full of references to newly-voted basketball hall-of-famer Allen Iverson. Around this time, anything that references one of basketball's greats is worth a listen (see "Kobe Bryant" by Lil’ Wayne).

—Karim Saoud

7. "March to the Sea" by Twenty One Pilots

Twenty One Pilots’ song “March to the Sea” resonates deeply with those who feel pressured to conform to society and restrictive norms. The juxtaposition of calmer, upbeat sounds and the serious message makes the song, already incredibly dynamic, even more interesting. The pace increases as the sound heightens and the lyrics build until the peak of the song culminates in a single, intensely-anticipated moment. Then the moment tapers off, and the listener is granted a moment of reprieve during the final, fading lyrics to think. They force listeners to consider the underlying message of the song, of blindly following others, fighting against that urge and being truly conscious.

—Anna Morgan

8. "Doctor Doctor" by Oh Pep!

This is a song about knowing what you want even though it's not what you need — a sentiment that will ring true to anyone guilty of making poor choices in love. "Doctor Doctor" is off the debut album of Australian duo Olivia Hally and Pepita Emmerichs (hence the name "Oh Pep!"). The album, "Stadium Cake," is due for release in June.

—Virginia Blount

9. "Daydreaming" by Radiohead

The second single from Radiohead’s most recent album, “A Moon Shaped Pool,” “Daydreaming” is a simple, melancholy piano ballad that hearkens back to the sound of “Kid A.” While it is largely minimalistic, the simplicity at times gives way to a more expansive sound with sped up piano arpeggios and orchestral elements before ending with heavily distorted vocals. Not only is “Daydreaming” one of the highlights of the album, but it is one of the best songs Radiohead has released in years.

—Christian Hecht

10. "Thug Panda" by SoySauce

“Thug Panda” is a feel-good, futuristic anthem that will simultaneously give you energy and calm you down. Sadly, the Andy Milonakis version didn't make the album, but it's still worth a listen.

—Samantha Rafalowski

Listen to the full playlist on the Arts & Entertainment section’s Spotify page at CavalierDailyAE. Tune in next month for our next installment.