An exciting year for music

Charlottesville stages saw thrilling variety of acts this year

<p>The Milk Carton Kids&nbsp;gave an intimate show April 12.</p>

The Milk Carton Kids gave an intimate show April 12.

From heart-pounding rock shows to simple folk experiences, Charlottesville’s music scene has lit up with talent this year. Arts & Entertainment recaps the most memorable performances of the past months.

Third Eye Blind, Oct. 17

Third Eye Blind made their old hits — “Semi-Charmed Life,” “Jumper” and “How’s It Going to Be” — sound as new as they were on their release dates in the late 1990s… The concert was a delight, and the old songs offered a novel experience. No matter how many times one may hear a classic song, there’s still nothing quite like seeing the personality behind the music and the skill behind the performers.

- Jack Nugent

Lupe Fiasco, Feb. 4

This was a celebration of Fiasco’s career to date, and the occasion was not lost on anyone — except the artist himself. Throughout the entire night, Fiasco seemed detached, like his energy had stalled out. With his mind seemingly on other things, he would often wait out his song’s hooks while gazing up at the ceiling or staring at the floor. The only uptick in his energy came when he performed certain sets with Billy Blue, one of the show’s opening acts. Otherwise, he never engaged with the Charlottesville crowd, nor did he give an encore.

- Adam Beddawi

Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses, April 8

The show was spectacular, featuring a fully-fledged symphony and choir performing some of the greatest pieces from the iconic video game series. Alongside the symphony was a video presentation of famous scenes in the series, effortlessly weaving the music and the game footage to retell entire narratives. From the feeling of adventure one might feel sailing across the sea in Wind Waker, to the mysticism of the creation story in Ocarina of Time, to the unsettling atmosphere in Majora’s Mask, the entire presentation evoked the range of emotions players feel during these games.

- Michael Crawford

Mavis Staples, April 9

To someone unfamiliar with her music or her family’s legacy, it would seem inconceivable for this spunky, firecracker of an artist to be a septuagenarian. Staples swung her hips and moved her arms to the beat of her songs, using her energy to produce the same guttural, powerful vocals she has offered for over five decades...At the root of Staples’s music is her sincere kindness, passion for what she does and desire to keep doing it until she is no longer able.

- Maggie Snow

Milk Carton Kids, April 12

It was an intensely intimate affair, complete with fairy lights roped around the stage, heavy interaction with the audience and a single spotlight on two eccentric, flat-picking music extraordinaires — Kenneth Pattengale and Joey Ryan. The concert was an experience unlike many others, for these two singer-guitarists performed with a soft subtlety, with almost a quiet indifference to their audience, capturing the magic of their performance.

- Camilla Siazon