Softball end regular season with series loss against Hokies

<p>Freshman pitcher Erika Osherow, a bright spot for Virginia this season,&nbsp;struggled on the mound, surrendering five homers&nbsp;during&nbsp;Virginia Tech's 15-0 win in the second game of the series.</p>

Freshman pitcher Erika Osherow, a bright spot for Virginia this season, struggled on the mound, surrendering five homers during Virginia Tech's 15-0 win in the second game of the series.

The Virginia softball team ended its regular season on a sour note, dropping three-straight games to in-state rival Virginia Tech in the Commonwealth Clash.

The Cavaliers (18-33, 7-14 ACC) opened the series with a tough 2-1 loss against the Hokies (28-27, 13-11 ACC). Virginia’s offense struggled, and was unable to get much going against Virginia Tech senior pitcher Maggie Tyler.

The second game of the series turned out to be one of Virginia’s worst losses of the season, as freshman pitcher Erika Osherow struggled and the Cavalier offense could not score a run. Virginia Tech hit five homers en route to a dominating 15-0 win.

In the series finale, Virginia came out of the gates looking to avoid a series sweep. The Cavaliers took the early lead, scoring a run in the top half of the first inning. However, the Hokies responded immediately — scoring four runs in the bottom of the first inning and putting Virginia into another hole. Virginia Tech scored six more runs in the second inning, courtesy of an RBI single, three-run home run, RBI groundout and error, stretching its lead to 10-1.

However, Virginia responded in the third inning with three RBI singles and an RBI groundout. Still, the Hokies’ lead was too much for the Cavaliers, and Virginia fell to a series sweep, losing the series finale 10-7.

The Cavaliers finished the season with their best record since the 2012-13 season, in which they went 21-28 overall. Virginia will now wait to see its ACC Tournament seeding.