North Korea to continue American detainees' imprisonment due to Kenneth Bae comments

Statements by former detainee threaten negotiations, DPRK state media says

Otto Frederick Warmbier (3rd R), a University of Virginia student who has been detained in North Korea since early January, attends a news conference in Pyongyang, North Korea, in this photo released by Kyodo February 29, 2016. Warmbier was detained for trying to steal a propaganda slogan from his Pyongyang hotel and has confessed to "severe crimes" against the state, the North's official media said on Monday. Warmbier, 21, was detained before boarding his flight to China over an unspecified incident at his hotel, his tour agency told Reuters in January. Mandatory credit REUTERS/Kyodo ATTENTION EDITORS - FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. IT IS DISTRIBUTED, EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS. MANDATORY CREDIT. JAPAN OUT. NO COMMERCIAL OR EDITORIAL SALES IN JAPAN. - RTS8H5V

North Korea is threatening to continue holding American detainees if former detainee and American citizen Kenneth Bae continues to criticize the DPRK.

“The DPRK will neither make any compromise nor conduct negotiations with the U.S. over the issue of American criminals nor take any humanitarian measure as long as [Bae] keeps spouting invectives against the DPRK,” a report in the North Korean state media, known as KCNA, said Monday.

University student Otto Warmbier and Kim Dong-chul — a 62-year-old man who has claimed to be a Korean-born American citizen who lived in Fairfax, Virginia — are both currently detained in North Korea.

Warmbier has been held since Jan. 2 after allegedly attempting to steal a political banner in a staff area of the Yanggakdo International Hotel in Pyongyang and North Korea’s Supreme Court sentenced Warmbier to 15 years of hard labor on March 16 for subversion.

Warmbier was a third-year Commerce student at the time of his detainment.

Dong-chul has been held since October 2015 on charges of espionage and was sentenced to 10 years of hard labor on April 29.

Bae — the longest-serving American detainee, who was held in the DPRK for two years from 2012 to 2014 — has become more vocal about the DPRK in recent months.

In early May, Bae released a book entitled “Not Forgotten: The True Story of My Imprisonment in North Korea” and appeared on CNN, where he described his experience of serving hard labor.

Bae has also commented on Warmbier’s case and released a statement in March noting that his prayers are with both Warmbier and the Warmbier family. Bae also called on people to take action by contacting congressional leaders and signing petitions.

North Korean state media argued Bae has been engaged in “hostile acts against the DPRK” and is spreading “false propaganda.”

The DPRK also claims to have treated Bae well during his 735 day imprisonment “from humanitarian point of view.”

“The DPRK's clarification of this stand is not just a warning,” state media reported.

U.S. officials are asking for Warmbier release on humanitarian grounds.

“We urge the DPRK to pardon Mr. Warmbier and grant him special amnesty and immediate release on humanitarian grounds,” a State Department spokesperson said in an email Monday evening.

The U.S. does not have formal diplomatic relations with the DPRK. Sweden acts as the “protecting power” for the U.S. in Pyongyang.