Governor McAuliffe appoints four new Board of Visitors members

Cranwell, DePasquale, Lateef and Murray to begin first time terms in July

<p>Board of Visitor appointments are made by the Governor with the specific strengths and weaknesses of the University in mind.</p>

Board of Visitor appointments are made by the Governor with the specific strengths and weaknesses of the University in mind.

Gov. Terry McAuliffe announced the appointment of four new members to the University of Virginia Board of Visitors on Monday.

Mark T. Bowles, who filled a seat left vacant by the resignation of Edward D. Miller last year, was also reappointed. The new members include public relations professional Elizabeth M. Cranwell, investor Thomas A. DePasquale, ophthalmologist Dr. Babur Bari Lateef and businessman James B. Murray Jr.

Elizabeth M. Cranwell is a PR specialist, educator and University alumna. Cranwell previously served as a board member with Emerge VA and the North Cross School Board of Trustees, and was the president of the North Cross School Parent’s Association.

Thomas A. DePasquale is a Commerce School graduate and technology entrepreneur who serves as president and CEO of Outtask, Inc., a provider of travel booking software based in Alexandria.

Dr. Babur B. Lateef is an ophthalmologist with teaching experience at George Washington University and University of Rochester medical schools. Lateef is the president of Advanced Ophthalmology, Inc. in Manassas and volunteers at two clinics in Prince William County.

Darden alumnus James B. Murray Jr. founded Court Square Ventures, a private equity firm active in the technology sector. He is a former member of the Board of Visitors at the College of William & Mary and is currently active in the Virginia Business Higher Education Council.

Secretary of the Commonwealth Kelly Thomasson said the selections are made by the governor with the advice of the Virginia Commission on Higher Education Board Appointments, originally established by Gov. Mark Warner.

Thomasson said the process of choosing new members is a holistic one.

“You get a lot of people who are interested in serving on boards and a lot of people who are qualified and meet any sort of criteria that there may be, but we really look at the big picture of how that board all fits together as well, looking at a number of different factors,” Thomasson said. “What are the current events happening at the institution? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the current board and how may they best be supplemented by a new round of people coming in, as well as geographic diversity, ethnic diversity, gender diversity.”

Thomasson also stressed that the board should reflect the state population as well as the student body population.

In an email statement, Sam Coleman, Assistant Director of Communications for the Governor’s Office, said all appointments for state universities and colleges by the governor are determined by the same values.

Appointments are focused on “improving access and degree completion rates, particularly for underrepresented populations, to ensure that all Virginians have the opportunity to obtain a great education and pursue successful careers,” Coleman said.

Current board members Frank B. Atkinson, Victoria D. Harker, Bobbie G. Kilberg, and Helen E. Dragas will vacate their positions at the end of June.