A look at Tim Kaine’s time in office

Previous Cavalier Daily coverage of U.S. senator, former Virginia governor selected as Clinton’s running mate

<p>Sen. Tim&nbsp;Kaine is a former governor of Virginia who served a term&nbsp;from&nbsp;from 2006-10.</p>

Sen. Tim Kaine is a former governor of Virginia who served a term from from 2006-10.

Sen. Tim Kaine was named as Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s running mate on Friday.

Clinton confirmed her pick in a series of tweets, calling Kaine “a man who's devoted his life to fighting for others” and “a relentless optimist who believes no problem is unsolvable.”

“Just got off the phone with Hillary. I’m honored to be her running mate,” Kaine tweeted within minutes of the announcement. “Can’t wait to hit the trail tomorrow in Miami!”

Kaine was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2012 following a term as chair of the Democratic National Committee from 2009-11 and a term as governor of Virginia from 2006-10.

Clinton’s announcement comes just days before the start of the Democratic National Convention, which is set to begin Monday in Philadelphia.

Here is a look at some of our coverage of Kaine over the years:

Virginia student leaders discuss student debt in Washington

Jan. 28, 2016

U.S. Senators Mark R. Warner (D-VA) and Tim Kaine (D-VA) hosted a roundtable discussion Wednesday with student representatives from 18 Virginia universities and colleges to discuss the topic of student loan debt.

Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine urges Congress to declare war on ISIS

Nov. 19, 2015

Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine, D, along with Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., delivered remarks to Congress Tuesday urging them to break the silence surrounding Islamic State and take military action to stop their worldwide threats of terrorism.

Kaine, One Less propose education bill

Feb. 12, 2015

University Contracted Independent Organization One Less presented the Teach Safe Relationships Act bill with Virginia Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine to the U.S. Senate Tuesday Feb. 3. Members of One Less worked with Kaine to craft the bill.

Sen. Tim Kaine lecture concludes decades of Sabato’s intro class political speakers

April 14, 2014

Sen. Tim Kaine, D-VA, spoke to students in Politics Prof. Larry Sabato’s “Introduction to American Politics” class Monday — the last public official to speak in one of Sabato’s introductory classes after 35 years of teaching.

Kaine speaks at University

Jan. 22, 2014

Students and onlookers gathered in Garrett Hall Wednesday for a foreign policy address from Senator Tim Kaine.

Kaine speaks to politics class

April 3, 2013

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) spoke to Politics Prof. Larry Sabato’s Introduction to American Politics class Wednesday afternoon about his career in politics.

Commonwealth favors Obama, Kaine

Oct. 1, 2012

Growing liberal tendencies in Virginia mean the state may no longer be a toss-up in the upcoming presidential and senate elections, according to predictions in Center for Politics Director Larry Sabato’s most recent Crystal Ball report.

Kaine visits Grounds

Sept. 5, 2011

Tim Kaine, former governor of Virginia and former Democratic National Committee chair, emphasized the importance of upcoming state and federal elections at a University Democrats-sponsored breakfast with Brian Moran, chairman of the Democratic Party of Virginia, Saturday.

Kaine's cuts cause worry on Grounds

Feb. 5, 2010

The General Assembly soon will consider a budget amendment proposed by former Gov. Tim Kaine that would shift almost $19 million from public universities to the state general fund. This change - which the House and Senate will release to the Assembly for discussion Feb. 21 - would cut the amount of money the University receives from the state by $3.8 million, said Colette Sheehy, vice president for management and budget.

Gov. Tim Kaine assumes DNC position

Jan. 23, 2009

Gov. Timothy Kaine officially became chairman of the Democratic National Committee Wednesday, replacing former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, whose “50 state strategy” is often credited with helping President Barack Obama win the presidency.

Kaine pushes for Obama vote in Virginia

Sept. 3, 2008

Though Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine (D) will not be on the presidential ballot this November — despite summer rumors that he could be named Barack Obama’s vice presidential candidate — his work as Obama’s national campaign co-chairman will keep him active in preparations for the upcoming November election.

Gov. Kaine addresses Law students

Feb. 19, 2007

Gov. Tim Kaine addressed University law students this weekend, encouraging them to pursue careers in public service.

Kaine announces Commission on Sexual Violence

Nov. 30, 2006

Gov. Tim Kaine recently announced the appointment of 37 members to his Commission on Sexual Violence in an effort to review and improve the Commonwealth's ability to treat and prevent violent sexual offenses.

Kaine wins governor race

Nov. 9, 2005

Democrat Tim Kaine defeated Republican Jerry Kilgore by a margin of over five percentage points in the race for the Virginia governorship last night.

Democratic candidates hold rally at University

Nov. 4, 2005

With the gubernatorial election only four days away, students, faculty and community members filled the Student Activities Building yesterday to show their support for visitors from the Commonwealth's Democratic ticket.

Kaine defeats Katzen in race for Lt. Gov.

Nov. 7, 2001

In a close race, Democrat Tim Kaine pulled ahead last night to win the Virginia lieutenant governor position, defeating Republican Jay Katzen. Kaine's margin of victory was only 2 percentage points.