Florence and the Machine release Final Fantasy XV tracks

Florence retains her musical style perfectly suited for epic adventure

Graceful harp opening? Check. Slowly building orchestral arrangements? Check. Pounding percussion driving the track? Check. Larger-than-life chorus from one-woman powerhouse Florence Welch? Check.

Florence and the Machine’s three-track release, “Songs From Final Fantasy XV” — comprised of their musical contributions to the upcoming Final Fantasy video game — opens with an archetypical Florence track. “Too Much Is Never Enough” hits all the major points that made Florence a powerhouse while still fitting snugly into the Final Fantasy universe. This is a series whose famous Prelude is one of the most recognizable harp pieces in video game music. Past series composer Nobuo Uematsu became a legend in the gaming community for his orchestral work on the first 10 games. The only big change is the introduction of a vocal presence, but Welch’s voice perfectly fits the epic, otherworldly franchise.

The second track finds Welch covering the classic Ben E. King tune “Stand By Me.” The infectious bassline of the original is still there, but it’s bolstered by accompanying harp flourishes here and there. The cover deftly balances the restraint of the original track and the bombast for which Florence is famous. The track has been confirmed as the main theme for Final Fantasy XV, and though it remains to be seen how well the game will use it, taken as a standalone cover Florence has done a commendable job.

The most exciting part of the release is easily the closing “I Will Be.” Florence’s whispered vocals and backing “woah-ohs” are pushed to the background for atmospheric effect, allowing the music to take center stage. While the other two tracks will likely be used for specific cutscenes in the game, “I Will Be” should organically fold into the gameplay. The track’s central motif sounds right at home on a Final Fantasy soundtrack. The song makes it easy to imagine lazily piloting an airship over whatever universe development company Square Enix creates in Final Fantasy XV. The game may not be released until the end of November, but these tracks provide fans a tantalizing sneak peak.

Moreover, “I Will Be” hints at exciting possibilities for Florence and the Machine’s future. It proves Welch’s stunning voice can be treated as another instrument in the orchestration instead of the centerpiece, hopefully paving the way for more experimental tracks in her future. These tracks aren’t just video game music; they’re also an important part of the Florence and the Machine discography.