The Skinny: Women’s soccer hosts Michigan State Thursday

The fourth-ranked Virginia women’s soccer team (2-0-0) is set to host the first of two home games this weekend at Klöckner Stadium against the Michigan State Spartans (1-0-1) Thursday at 7 p.m.

As coach Steve Swanson looks to solidify his starting 11, this match represents a good test of ability against unfamiliar competition. In fact, these two teams have only met on the pitch twice prior to the pending game Thursday.

As an undefeated team — one win and one tie — the Spartans appear to represent the Cavaliers’ greatest competition to date and ought to be a good measuring stick for Swanson to effectively evaluate his team’s ability at this early stage of the season.

With a very well-balanced team, the Cavaliers can score goals from any position. In fact, through the first two games of the season, the Cavaliers have scored six times, each by a different player.

Virginia will hope to continue its trend of shutting out opponents and expand upon senior goalkeeper Morgan Stearns’s now program record-setting win mark of 56.

If they can continue getting all their players involved and are able to find the back of the net with players throughout the lineup, the outlook appears promising for the Cavaliers going forward.