Anne Holton campaigns for Clinton in Charlottesville

Kaine's wife meets with Hillary for America volunteers

<p>Holton visited Charlottesville this past Friday.</p>

Holton visited Charlottesville this past Friday.

Anne Holton, former Virginia secretary of education and wife of Democratic vice presidential nominee Tim Kaine, hosted a campaign volunteer appreciation event Friday on the Downtown Mall to campaign for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

Holton, who arrived in Charlottesville following two other events in Roanoke, Va., was introduced by Charlottesville Vice-Mayor Wes Bellamy. Charlottesville congressional candidate Jane Dittmar was also in attendance.

In an informal speech, Holton told stories about the campaign trail, her relationship with the presidential nominee and the connections between herself and Clinton.

"I will tell you that I have been a fan and admirer of Hillary really all my life. I like to flatter myself that my career has followed hers in some ways,” Holton said.

Both Holton and Clinton served as legal aid lawyers after graduating from law school and both continued to work in children’s issues such as disability access and foster care.

Holton also said that as she has worked with Clinton, her confidence in Clinton’s ability to lead has grown.

“These chances I’ve had over the last few months have reaffirmed tenfold everything I thought I knew about why we absolutely must make Hillary Clinton the next president of the United States,” Holton said.

Holton also spoke on her role as an advisor for education issues on the campaign trail and Clinton’s goals for Holton.

“What [Clinton] said to me what she wants me to do is to be listening to teachers, listening to our educators — that’s what she really wants my role to be on the campaign and there after,” Holton said. She added that it was important to ensure that teachers get the needed support as “they’re doing this all-important business of educating and preparing our young people for the next generation.”

During her talk, Holton also described similarities between Kaine and Clinton.

“They’re both really quite serious about governing and how governing matters to the life of families and children and all of us everywhere,” Holton said.

Holton predicted the 2016 election will be a close one.

“Tim says this election is going to be close — we’re making history,” Holton said. “That there’s no way it’s not going to be close despite all the craziness, despite all the polls you see. Don’t believe anything that tells you different, this is going to be a very close race in Virginia and it’s going to be a very, very close race across the nation.”