Korte trial postponed

Professor facing child porn charges currently in hospital

<p>The University Police Department charged and arrested Korte on Aug. 2, following an investigation that included searches at his Albemarle County residence and University office.</p>

The University Police Department charged and arrested Korte on Aug. 2, following an investigation that included searches at his Albemarle County residence and University office.

Associate Prof. Walter Francis Korte Jr., a longtime University professor charged with two counts of possession of child pornography last month, has been granted continuance by the Albemarle Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

The University Police Department charged and arrested Korte on Aug. 2, following an investigation that included searches at his Albemarle County residence and University office. He was held at the Albemarle Charlottesville Regional Jail.

NBC 29 reports that after being released on bond Sept. 6, Korte attempted to commit suicide and was admitted to the University Medical Center. The Medical Center confirmed Korte is currently a patient, but declined to comment on the alleged attempted suicide or on his current condition.

Korte’s first trial date was originally set for Sept. 26, but Judge Claude Worrell granted a continuance and postponed the trial date to Oct. 24.

“Mr. Korte remains on administrative leave,” University Spokesperson Anthony de Bruyn said in an email statement.

De Bruyn did not offer comment on Korte’s alleged suicide attempt.

Korte is represented by attorney Bonnie J. Lepold of Lepold & Freed, PLLC, who declined to comment for this article.

The 72-year old taught film studies classes, and although he remains on leave, several of his film courses are still being taught this semester.