​Men’s golf seeks to carry momentum at Inverness Intercollegiate

<p>Senior Derek&nbsp;Bard tied for second at the&nbsp;Carpet Capital Collegiate in Dalton, Ga.</p>

Senior Derek Bard tied for second at the Carpet Capital Collegiate in Dalton, Ga.

What: Inverness Intercollegiate

Where: Toledo, OH

When: Monday, Tuesday, all day

The Skinny: The No. 14 Virginia men’s golf team will look to continue its strong start to the 2016-17 season this week at the two-day Inverness Invitational tournament in Toledo, OH.

It will be another tough test for the Cavaliers, as the 13-team tournament includes some strong competitors. The ranked opponents in this tournament are No. 11 Auburn, who finished second to Virginia at the Carpet Capital Collegiate tournament last weekend, and ACC rival No. 23 Duke.

The tournament will be played on the historic Inverness Club course, which has hosted four U.S. Opens and two PGA Championship tournaments. It is currently ranked 41 in “America’s Best Classic Courses” by Golfweek Magazine.

Leading the way for the Cavaliers will be senior Derek Bard and sophomore Thomas Walsh. Bard played exceptionally strong last weekend at the Carpet Capital Collegiate, tying for second overall out of 78 competing golfers. Walsh also had a strong tournament, tying for sixth overall.

Another Virginia golfer to watch for will be freshman Andrew Orischak, who will make his collegiate debut. Orischak, who graduated high school a year early to enroll at Virginia, was ranked as the nation’s No. 10 high school junior by Golfweek Magazine.

A first place finish would give the Cavaliers their first back-to-back tournament wins since the spring of 2014.