StudCo reviews security, police presence on Grounds

Police and RMC representatives explain Ambassadors Program, reiterate there is no crackdown

<p>While some students have perceived an increased police crackdown on parties, Lieutenant David Harris says that police aren't shutting down any more parties than usual.</p>

While some students have perceived an increased police crackdown on parties, Lieutenant David Harris says that police aren't shutting down any more parties than usual.

At Student Council’s weekly meeting, members spoke with representatives from the University Police Department, Charlottesville Police Department and RMC Events about the Ambassadors Program, as well as relations between the University community and local law enforcement.

Shawn Jacobson, RMC’s regional director of western operations, and RMC Quality Assurance Manager Bob Palkovics spoke on behalf of RMC Events, which runs the Ambassadors Program. CPD Lieutenant David Harris and Benjamin Rexrode, UPD community service coordinator, spoke with the council as well.

The group explained the basic functions of the ambassadors and the history of the program.

“The Ambassador Program started here at U.Va. about a year and a half ago,” Rexrode said.

He said the program was originally modeled after similar programs at other schools, but was ultimately customized to fit the University and Charlottesville community.

The ambassadors themselves are employees of RMC Events, but the entire program is run with significant oversight from the University and the UPD, Rexrode said.

Palkovics detailed the ambassadors’ training program.

“All ambassadors go through a Department of Criminal Justice Services 01E Unarmed Security Certification Course,” he said.

The course consists of two to three days of classroom training, focused on the ambassadors’ mission to “Observe, Detect and Report.”

The ambassadors are not official law enforcement officers but are meant to ensure student safety and comfort in the areas surrounding the University. Rexrode used the term “safety concierge” to describe the ambassadors’ role.

“They’re there for that larger picture of safety,” he said.

Jacobson explained more about the daily operations of the ambassadors. He said the Ambassadors are only on the streets from 4 p.m. until 7 a.m. That time block is divided into two shifts — 4 p.m. to 12 a.m. and 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. Six ambassadors are on duty during the first shift, but that number increases to 13 for the second shift.

The ambassadors are deployed primarily around the Corner and the high-density student housing area behind it, but also down West Main St. and Stadium Rd. These areas were strategically chosen and vary based on big events, such as home football games, Jacobson added.

“We want to mirror crowd movements,” he said.

The ambassadors do not cover any on-Grounds areas, since the University Police Department and other security officers already have a large presence there.

Because the ambassadors are present off-Grounds, they help not only the student body but also Charlottesville residents.

“This is not just a student service, it’s a community service,” Rexrode said.

Harris also addressed student concerns about a perceived crackdown on parties and fraternity activity this year.

“The number one question I’m sure everyone wants the answer to is, ‘Is there a crackdown?’ No, there is no crackdown,” he said.

However, he said the police department’s new noise meters may allow them to enforce noise ordinances more than in recent years.

“[We did] get new noise meters in this year and yes, we will be enforcing the noise ordinance this year,” he said.

Harris emphasized the importance of enforcing the noise ordinances on behalf of the Charlottesville community.

“People expect you to be good neighbors,” he said.

The maximum legal noise level after 10 p.m. is 55 decibels, with a limit of 65 before that time. By comparison, a conversation with a person approximately three feet away is about 60-65 decibels.

He also said that no charges of noise violations would be handed out without an opportunity to comply. Harris emphasized that charges will only be filed if someone refuses to comply with a warning.