Apr 26, 2017

SPORTS

Virginia field hockey responds to difficult loss with pair of wins

splucyhyamsmbronfin

The Cavaliers relied on senior midfielder Lucy Hyams to escape with a win Friday at No. 9 Boston College. Hyams scored the game-winning goal in overtime and also scored in Virginia's 4-0 victory Sunday over Fairfield.

The pair of games this last past Friday and Sunday was incredibly important for a Virginia team that was previously struggling. After suffering an 8-0 loss to No. 3 Connecticut (10-0, 2-0 AAC), by far the worst of the year, the No. 16 Cavaliers (6-4, 1-1 ACC) needed to respond strongly. With expectations high coming into the season, especially since the team returned all but one player, many performances have been underwhelming.

Hopefully, an overtime win against Boston College and an easy win at Fairfield can right the ship on the season.

Virginia beat the No. 9 Eagles (4-5, 1-2 ACC) in a tight overtime game. Senior midfielder Lucy Hyams scored the game winner just 1:24 into the overtime period.

The Cavaliers also cruised to a 4-0 win against Fairfield. Hyams, freshman striker Erin Shanahan, junior midfielder Tara Vittese and sophomore striker Greta Ell scored in the game. The Cavaliers outshot Fairfield 22-7.

Virginia plays Wake Forest in Charlottesville this Friday. The game is set to start at 5 p.m.

Published September 26, 2016 in Sports