Virginia vs. Richmond: a breakdown

<p>Junior Transfer Quarterback Kurt Benkert's play is key to the Cavaliers' success this year.</p>

Junior Transfer Quarterback Kurt Benkert's play is key to the Cavaliers' success this year.

Key Players

Here’s a look at the players who will be making plays all over the field during Saturday’s season opener. How well each of them plays could determine the outcome of the in-state matchup.

Virginia

Kurt Benkert (QB)

The junior quarterback hasn’t been with Virginia long, but he’s already made his presence felt. With a football mind, a big arm and the ability to extend plays, the transfer from East Carolina will start at signal caller for a new-look Cavaliers offense. His knee is healthy, and he’s ready to go.

Taquan Mizzell (RB)

He goes by “Smoke.” Mizzell is a dynamic athlete, able to catch passes out of the backfield and take handoffs in a blur to the house. Offensive coordinator Robert Anae will get No. 4 the football in a variety of ways. Named to the Bilentnikoff Award Watch List in the preseason, Mizzell has the chance for a breakout senior season.

Micah Kiser (LB)

A member of the 2015 All-ACC First Team, Kiser led the conference with 117 tackles last season and finished 17th in the nation. Embracing the new coaches and their demands, Kiser has improved his fitness and technique. He should be in conversation again as one of the ACC’s best defenders.

Richmond

David Jones (S)

Jones led the FCS with nine interceptions last season — four of those coming in the same game against Albany to tie an NCAA record. The redshirt senior safety will have his work cut out for him Saturday against a Virginia offense that won’t be afraid to air the ball out.

Kyle Lauletta (QB)

Richmond’s redshirt junior quarterback from Exton, Penn. is regarded as an elite offensive player in the FCS. Lauletta finished the 2015 season ranked third in the country in passing yards at 3,598. How the captain fairs in the face of Virginia’s aggressive 3-4 defense will be a big factor Saturday.

Omar Howard (LB)

A native of Midlothian, Va., Howard led the Spiders with 136 tackles last year en route to earning All-CAA First Team honors. Like Kiser for the Cavaliers, the redshirt senior is a leader in the middle of the Richmond defense, elected by his teammates to serve as captain in 2016.

2015 Leaders:

Here are each squad’s statistical leaders from last season. The Cavaliers struggled on both sides of the ball, but Richmond secured its first 10-win season since 2009.

Virginia

Passers:

Matt Johns (QB): 61% completion percentage; 2810 yards; 20 TD

Rushers:

Taquan Mizzell (RB): 671 Rushing Yards; 4.1 Yards per Carry; 4 TD

Albert Reid (RB): 360 Rushing Yards; 5.5 Yards per Carry; 3 TD

Receivers:

Taquan Mizzell (RB): 75 Receptions; 721 yards; 4 TD

Olamide Zaccheaus (WR): 21 Receptions: 216 yards; 1 TD

Defense:

Micah Kiser (LB): 117 tackles; 13 tackles for loss (TFL)

Quin Blanding (S): 115 tackles; 1 TFL

Richmond

Passers:

Kyle Lauletta (QB): 62% completion percentage; 3598 yards; 19 TD

Rushers:

David Broadus (QB): 207 Rushing Yards; 5.0 Yards per Carry; 4 TD

Gordon Collins (RB): 153 Rushing Yards; 5.7 Yards per Carry; 2 TD

Receivers:

Brian Brown (WR): 76 Receptions; 1450 yards; 6 TD

Porter Abell (WR): 14 Receptions: 193 yards; 2 TD

Defense:

Omar Howard (LB): 136 tackles; 5.5 tackles for loss (TFL)

David Jones (DB): 97 tackles; 3 TFL

3 Keys to a Virginia Win

If the Cavaliers can execute in these three facets of the game, they will be able to start off the Mendenhall era on a positive note with a win over Richmond.

Graphic by Kriti Sehgal

Pressure the QB

Richmond junior quarterback Kyle Lauletta is comfortable in the pocket. He can deliver accurate throws and keep the chains moving there. Up front, the three down linemen for Virginia will have to attack gaps and close down space around the quarterback. A batted down pass or sack early on would make Lauletta think twice.

Limit Silly Penalties

Throughout the London era, ill-advised, thoughtless penalties plagued the Cavaliers in close games. Mendenhall and staff have stressed the importance of discipline in determining a contest’s outcome. Virginia is playing a more physical, speedy brand of football. The Cavaliers can’t have mental slip-ups that allow Richmond to keep the score close.

Ground and Pound

Following the Spring Football Festival, offensive coordinator Robert Anae addressed the media about the crowded Virginia backfield. Anae praised his running back corps of Smoke Mizzell, Albert Reid, Daniel Hamm and Jordan Ellis, deeming it the most impressive group to that point. Little has changed. Virginia’s deep backfield can establish a potent ground game Saturday.