Volleyball gears up for Baylor Classic

What: Baylor Classic

Where: Waco, Texas

When: Friday-Saturday

The Skinny: After a disappointing 0-3 weekend at the Bluegrass Battle, the Virginia volleyball team (3-6) hopes to right the ship in its final weekend of tournament play at the Baylor Classic. The Cavaliers face a tough slate on their road back to .500, playing the Baylor Bears (7-4), Washington State Cougars (8-1) and College of Charleston Cougars (6-3).

Virginia looked overmatched in the Bluegrass Battle last weekend, losing in straight sets in two out of its three matches. The team is full of young, unproven talent that has yet to find sustained success, with six freshmen still acclimating to the collegiate stage. Seniors Haley Kole and Lexi Riccolo have made helping these freshmen a priority, but their advice has yet to yield victories. Usually a force on the court, Kole was limited to single-digit kills in the team’s final two matches last weekend. She will look to get back in form this weekend to help lead her team through this gauntlet.

This weekend will be the final tune-up for the Cavaliers before they begin ACC play against Wake Forest Sept. 23. Virginia will open in Waco against Baylor Friday at 7 p.m. before taking on Washington State Saturday at 2 p.m. and closing against College of Charleston at 6 p.m.