Volleyball ready to regroup with start of ACC play

<p>Baylor and Washington State held Virginia's talented outside hitter Haley Kole in check, as each cruised to a&nbsp;straight-set win over the Cavaliers. Kole shined in Virginia's tough&nbsp;loss to Charleston, though, tallying 18 kills.&nbsp;</p>

Baylor and Washington State held Virginia's talented outside hitter Haley Kole in check, as each cruised to a straight-set win over the Cavaliers. Kole shined in Virginia's tough loss to Charleston, though, tallying 18 kills. 

The Virginia volleyball team went winless its second-straight tournament, dropping all three of its matches at the Baylor Classic.

The Cavaliers looked to rebound from their three-game skid at the Bluegrass Battle when they traveled to Waco, Texas for their final non-conference tournament, but once again looked overmatched against tough opponents and could not pick up a win.

Virginia opened the weekend with a straight-set loss Friday night to host Baylor, and could not win a set the following day when they faced Washington State — both were teams that had won over half their games already. The teams also limited senior Haley Kole, the Cavalier star outside hitter, to under 10 kills as they cruised to victory.

Virginia looked its most competitive in its final game of the tournament against College of Charleston, initially going up two sets to none and looking to be on the brink of victory. However, the Cougars mounted a vicious comeback — which included a tiebreak win in the fourth set — and bested the Cavaliers in the final set 15-8 to clinch an improbable victory.

Kole shined with 18 kills for Virginia, but Charleston’s senior middle blocker Maddie Hills and sophomore outside hitter Devon Rachel both matched her kills en route to a comeback win. With a dismal 0-6 skid in their last two road tournaments, the Cavaliers look to start anew in their ACC slate, which begins against Wake Forest at home Friday.

The team showed flashes of great potential early on in the season, and will look to get back to that level of play as conference play begins.