Weekend Previews: Sept. 30-Oct. 2

"The Skinny" on weekend action for field hockey and volleyball

<p>Field hockey is set to play&nbsp;No. 16 Wake Forest and&nbsp;No. 14 Old Dominion this weekend.</p>

Field hockey is set to play No. 16 Wake Forest and No. 14 Old Dominion this weekend.

Field Hockey

What: No. 12 Virginia vs. No. 16 Wake Forest, No. 14 Old Dominion

Where: University Hall Turf Field, Charlottesville, Va.

When: Friday, 5 p.m.; Sunday, 1 p.m.

The Skinny: The Virginia field hockey team is officially half way through the season after its most recent game against Fairfield. The No. 12 Cavaliers (6-4, 1-1 ACC) have not had the start to the season they initially hoped for. Returning all but one player from a team that was never outside the top-10 last year, expectations were high.

With a start slower than most expected, Virginia has had its ups and downs on the season. Perhaps the worst moment was the 8-0 loss against current No. 1 Connecticut (10-0, 2-0 AAC) Sept. 18. Yet the Cavaliers did a great job responding to the harsh loss. Last Friday they beat then-No. 9 Boston College (4-5, 1-2 ACC), 2-1, in a thrilling overtime game. They followed that up with a 4-0 win against Fairfield (1-8, 0-0 MAAC).

Virginia has yet to string three wins together on the year. It will look to do so against Wake Forest (5-4, 0-3 ACC). This will be the Demon Deacons’ fourth ACC game, with the team still searching for its first win.

Two days later, the Cavaliers have another home game against Old Dominion (5-3, 1-1 Big East).

However, playing two ranked opponents back-to-back is not a new concept for Virginia. It plays one of the hardest schedules in the country. This is a product of a loaded ACC and difficult non-conference schedule.

—compiled by Tysen Tresness

Volleyball

What: Virginia vs. Virginia Tech

Where: Cassell Coliseum, Blacksburg, Va.

When: Friday, 7 p.m.

The Skinny: Virginia heads into the weekend hoping to end its nine-match losing streak. Following a tough loss against Duke in Charlottesville last Saturday, the Cavaliers (3-11, 0-2 ACC) look to rebound tonight against rival Virginia Tech.

After a nice 3-2 start to the 2016 season, the Cavaliers have struggled, losing nine of their last 10 matches over its three previous tournaments. Virginia will try to get its footing back as it continues conference play.

To do so, the team will take a trip south to Blacksburg to visit the rival Hokies (6-8, 1-2 ACC). Virginia Tech defeated Clemson last Friday but fell against Georgia Tech Sunday. The team also lost, 3-1, in a midweek matchup against Pittsburgh Wednesday.

The Cavaliers defeated the Hokies in October last year, but lost 3-2 in Blacksburg, in the season finale for both teams.

—compiled by Ryan Coyne