What to watch for in Saturday's Virginia-UCONN matchup

The Cavaliers travel to East Hartford looking for their first win of the year

<p>Senior running back Albert Reid looks to build on his 126-yard performance against Oregon in the Cavaliers' week 3 matchup with Connecticut.&nbsp;</p>

Senior running back Albert Reid looks to build on his 126-yard performance against Oregon in the Cavaliers' week 3 matchup with Connecticut. 

As the Cavaliers turn to their week three matchup with Connecticut, here is The Cavalier Daily Sports staff’s breakdown of the matchup that could get Virginia into the win column for the first time in 2016.

3 keys to a Virginia win

Get off the field on third down

The Virginia defense has allowed opposing offenses to convert on third down on 19 out of 31 attempts, or 61 percent of the time. Last Saturday, a penalty backed the Ducks up to third and 36 before the Cavaliers surrendered a devastating 54-yard completion. Virginia’s defense has to force punts when it ought to.

Catch the pigskin

Against Oregon, Benkert delivered several well-thrown balls that his receivers had no business dropping. Junior Doni Dowling, sophomores David Eldridge and Olamide Zaccheaus and senior Keeon Johnson have to haul in those passes that hit them in the numbers Saturday. They can’t be sped up by hasty thoughts of running after the catch.

Run wild again

Senior tailback Albert Reid was a bright spot for Virginia versus an athletic Ducks defense. The D.C. native rushed for 126 yards and scored a touchdown. Reid, as well as senior Taquan Mizzell and sophomore Jordan Ellis, who combined for 94 rushing yards and a touchdown, must carry that momentum into Saturday’s matchup with Connecticut. 

Players to watch

VIRGINIA

Albert Reid

Senior offensive lineman Eric Smith praised Reid in the press conference this week not only for the tone he set with his 126 yards on the ground against Oregon, but also for the way the 5-foot-9, 215-pound tailback blocks. Reid has become an integral part of the Virginia offense.

Kurt Benkert

Exposed to all the hype this offseason, most Cavalier fans expected Benkert to unleash his big arm and scrambling ability right from the start. It hasn’t come that easily for the transfer quarterback from ECU, but Benkert has the skills to put it together. Virginia will need his leadership most of all Saturday.

Jordan Mack

Mack’s teammates and coaches recognized the tremendous jump he made in maturity and energy from week one to week two. The freshman outside linebacker finished the Oregon game with six tackles, including two for a loss, and a forced fumble. Mack will look to continue his development in the Cavaliers 3-4 defense. 

UCONN

Noel Thomas

Thomas, the Huskies 2015 team leader in receptions with 54 for 719 yards, has put together two solid games at wideout this season. The Norwalk, Conn. native enters Saturday’s game with 186 receiving yards on 20 catches and a touchdown. Thomas is by far redshirt junior quarterback Bryant Shirreff’s go-to target.

Matt Walsh

Walsh, a senior and co-captain, leads his Connecticut team in tackles this season with 16. The former fullback was converted into a linebacker last season and started in just three games as he adjusted to his new role. In 2016, Walsh has become that fearless leader in the center of the Huskies’ defense.

Bryant Shirreffs

A transfer from NC State in 2014, Shirreffs has shown dual-threat ability over his past two seasons at Connecticut. Through two games this year, Shirreffs has averaged 200 yards through the air and 63.5 yards on the ground. His versatility could prove troublesome for Virginia.

2016 Statistical Leaders

Virginia

Passing

Kurt Benkert (QB): 63 completion percentage, 457 yards, 5 touchdowns, 3 interceptions

Rushing

Albert Reid (RB): 21 carries, 154 yards, 7.3 yards per carry (YPC), 1 touchdown

Taquan Mizzell (RB): 17 carries, 55 yards, 3.2 YPC, 1 touchdown

Receiving

Olamide Zaccheaus (WR): 8 receptions, 122 yards, 15.2 yards per catch (YPC), 1 touchdown

Keeon Johnson (WR): 11 receptions, 86 yards, 7.8 YPC, 2 touchdowns.

Defense

Micah Kiser (LB): 23 tackles, 1 tackle for loss (TFL), 2 forced fumbles, 1 sack

Zach Bradshaw (LB): 15 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 forced fumble

Connecticut

Passing

Bryant Shirreffs (QB): 79.6 completion percentage, 401 yards, 1 touchdown

Rushing

Bryant Shirreffs (QB): 33 carries, 127 yards. 3.8 YPC

Ron Johnson (RB): 25 carries, 98 yards, 3.9 YPC, 3 touchdowns

Receiving

Noel Thomas (WR): 20 receptions, 186 yards, 9.3 YPC, 1 touchdown

Hergy Mayala (WR): 5 receptions, 68 yards, 13.6 YPC

Defense

Matt Walsh (LB): 16 tackles, 1 tackle for loss (TFL)

Vontae Diggs (LB): 15 tackles, 2 TFL

Correction: The sub-headline for this article previously listed the game's location as Norwalk, CT.

Graphic by Kriti Sehgal