Women's golf finishes ninth in Nashville

<p>Sophomore Anna Redding&nbsp;posted Virginia's top score over the weekend&nbsp;at the Mason Rudolph Championship. The Concord, North Carolina native shot a 3-over, 219, helping her Cavalier team record a top-ten finish.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore Anna Redding posted Virginia's top score over the weekend at the Mason Rudolph Championship. The Concord, North Carolina native shot a 3-over, 219, helping her Cavalier team record a top-ten finish. 

The No. 19 Virginia women’s golf team opened their season this past weekend with a ninth place finish at the Mason Rudolph Championship in Nashville, Tenn.

The Cavaliers had their fair share of good and bad moments throughout the tournament. A rough first day, in which Virginia shot 303 (15 over par), resulted in the Cavaliers being positioned at 13th place out of 15 teams after round one.

Virginia then rebounded with an exceptional round two score the next day, shooting a 285 (3 under par) for an 18 stroke improvement compared to round one. The score was the second best of round two, trailing only the score of 278 (10 under par) shot by eventual tournament champion No. 6 Alabama.

The Cavaliers closed the tournament with a round three score of 298 to finish with a combined score of 886 (22 over par).

Virginia’s overall inconsistent play can partly be attributed to the fact that it is a young team. Of the five players that contributed to the Cavalier’s team score, three were sophomores Anna Redding, Katharine Patrick and Morgan Gonzales and one was a freshman Julia Ford.

Senior Lauren Diaz-Yi was the only upperclassman of the five players who contributed to the overall score. The top performer of the weekend for Virginia was Redding, who shot 219 (3 over par) to finish the tournament individually tied for 18th place out of 80 golfers.

The Cavaliers will next compete in the three day Annika Intercollegiate in Reunion, Fla., starting Sunday. The Annika Intercollegiate ranks as one of the most distinguished fall tournaments in the nation, inviting the top teams from last year’s NCAA tournament including defending champion No. 1 UCLA.

Virginia will look to build off of its Mason Rudolph Championship performance as it faces another big test.