Jun 23, 2017

SPORTS

Women's soccer looks to continue dominance against Miami

After shutout victory over Virginia Tech, Cavaliers head south for third away game

spwsoccermcnabbcourtesyvaathletics

Senior defender Kristen McNabb leads the No. 2 Cavaliers on the road against a faltering Miami squad coming off three straight losses. 

The No. 2 Virginia women’s soccer team will travel south to play Miami Thursday. The Hurricanes have lost three straight games, against Florida Golf Coast University, Florida International University and No. 3 Florida State University.

After falling to now-No. 6 Georgetown Sept. 11, the Cavaliers (8-1- 0, 1-0- 0 ACC) rebounded with a strong 2-0 win over in-state rival No. 19 Virginia Tech. Senior Defender Kristen McNabb scored both goals for Virginia.

McNabb was named ACC Co-Offensive Player of the Week Tuesday. Despite her position in the back of the field, McNabb was able to convert both of her shot attempts into goals.

“I thought we played hard and set the tone,” McNabb said. “We knew it was going to be a tough game. Especially coming off a loss, we really wanted to get that win, so we played hard and we’re happy with the result.”

Virginia Tech only attempted six shots against the Cavaliers, with just one of those shots being on goal. This marks the eighth time the Cavaliers have shut out their opponent this season.

“I think we had the right approach this week,” coach Steve Swanson said. “For them to respond the way they did, I think they were very focused in practice this week.”

Although Miami (5-4-0, 0-1- 0 ACC) is on a three-game losing streak, Virginia has split its two road games thus far. Miami’s past five games have all been decided by one goal, so Virginia could be in a close match throughout.

Miami’s freshman forward Kristina Fisher has been the most dominant player for the Hurricanes. In her first nine college games, Fisher has scored six goals and assisted on five.

Following the upcoming game at Miami, Virginia will continue its trip in Florida and battle against No. 3 Florida State. Coming out with two road wins would be huge for the Cavaliers as ACC play continues to progress.

Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. this Thursday.

Published September 21, 2016 in Sports