Women’s soccer play Florida State to rain-soaked draw

<p>The Cavaliers rebounded from&nbsp;a disappointing loss at Miami with a 1-1 draw against No. 3 Florida State Sunday.</p>

The Cavaliers rebounded from a disappointing loss at Miami with a 1-1 draw against No. 3 Florida State Sunday.

In a tumultuous game spoiled by two lightning delays, No. 2 Virginia and No. 3 Florida State played to a 1-1 tie before officials had to call the game due to weather.

Coming into this game off a disappointing loss against Miami, the Cavaliers (8-2-1, 1-1-1 ACC) came into this top-five matchup eager to rectify some of the mistakes made Thursday.

Virginia started the game hot when sophomore midfielder Hana Kerner found junior forward Veronica Latsko who powered the ball into the net to give the Cavaliers a 1-0 lead in the ninth minute.

After an extensive lightning delay at halftime, the teams came back on the field a little unsettled by the lengthy wait.

Florida State (8-1-1, 2-0-1 ACC) found the equalizer in the 68th minute after forcing a turnover and firing in a goal from six yards out.

As the game went on, the Cavaliers stepped up the pressure, looking for the winner, but neither team could find the breakthrough.

Still facing a tied score after the opening 90 minutes, the teams moved on to overtime. In the overtime period, the Cavalier defense came up huge and made some key stops to keep the game even.

In the 100th minute, the referees called the game after another lightning delay, ending the match in a 1-1 draw.

Virginia’s next contest will be another huge ACC matchup at home against North Carolina next Sunday.