Your 2017-18 guide to housing

A comparative look at on- and off-Grounds living options

Whether you're planning to live on-Grounds or off-Grounds next year, here's a guide to everything you need to know about where you should live.

1. Jefferson Park Avenue

Location: JPA runs from the University Medical Center to Scott Stadium, with multiple intersecting roads and avenues containing student housing.

Proximity to Grounds: It takes about 15 minutes to walk from JPA to Central Grounds. JPA has several University Transit System stops for the Inner University Loop and Outer University Loop busses and is serviced by the Free Trolley. JPA has on average a five to 10 minute walk to the Engineering School and about a 10 minute walk to the Nursing School.

Price Range: The average price for a one bedroom apartment on JPA is about $1,300 per month. A four bedroom apartment ranges from about $1,500 to $2,000 per month.

2. 14th St./Wertland St.

Location: 14th and Wertland St. intersect just behind the Corner, with housing options located northeast along 14th and 15th St. and east along Wertland St.

Proximity to Grounds: The average walk from 14th St. to Central Grounds is about 10 minutes, though it may take closer to 20 minutes from housing farther down 14th St. and Wertland St. There are Outer University Loop and Inner University Loop bus stops at 14 St. NW and Wertland St and along 14th St.

Price Range: Most four bedroom apartments range from about $2,700 to $3,500 a month.

3. Rugby Rd./Gordon Ave./Grady Ave.

Location: Rugby Rd. is the center of University Greek life and intersects both Gordon Ave. and Grady Ave. This area has more houses than apartments and resembles a neighborhood more so than other off-Grounds housing locales.

Proximity to Grounds: The walk to Central Grounds typically takes about 10 to 15 minutes from this area. There are Inner University Loop and Outer University Loop bus stops on Rugby Rd. at Beta Bridge, Grady Ave. at 16th St and on Madison Ave. at Grady Avenue.

Price Range: A typical four bedroom apartment in this area costs about $2,700 per month.

4. West Main St.

Location: The Flats at West Village and Uncommon are located on West Main St., near the Downtown Mall. These apartments are some of the newest off-Grounds housing and are close to multiple food options and nightlife destinations.

Proximity to Grounds: On average, it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to walk from The Flats and Uncommon apartments to Central Grounds. The Free Trolley stops on West Main St., as well as the Route Seven CAT bus.

Price Range: Though prices vary depending on the size and number of bedrooms, a four bedroom apartment ranges from $2,440 to $3,256 The Flats. A four bedroom apartment in Uncommon ranges from about $3,500 to $3,700 per month.

5. Lambeth Field Apartments

Location: Lambeth Field is located across the street from John Paul Jones Arena and around a 15 minute walk away from Barracks Road Shopping center.

Proximity to Grounds: Lambeth is about a 15 minute walk from Central Grounds. Students can also take the Inner University Loop from Beta Bride or the NorthLine or Green Route from Emmet St.

Price: Lambeth costs $6,340 for the 2016-17 academic year.

Floor Plan: Lambeth apartments can have either two or three double bedrooms. Both have one and a half or two bathrooms, a kitchen, living room and additional storage closet behind the kitchen. Each bedroom contains two extra-long twin beds — 80" x 36", two desks with carrels and chairs, two wardrobes, one to two dressers and a wastebasket.

6. Bice House

Location: Bice House is located at the end of Brandon Ave., behind New Cabell Hall, east of Nau-Gibson Hall and west of the University Hospital and Nursing School.

Proximity to Grounds: Bice is around a 10 minute walk from both Central Grounds and the Corner. It is closely located to a bus stop on Jefferson Park Avenue where the Free Trolley, Route Seven CAT bus, Outer University Loop and Inner University Loop busses.

Price: Bice costs $6,340 for the 2016-17 academic year.

Floor plan: Each suite contains two to three double occupancy air conditioned rooms with a living room, one or two bathrooms, storage closet and kitchen. Each room contains two twin beds with six drawers underneath, a trash can and two desks.

7. Faulkner Apartments

Location: Faulkner Apartments are located near John Paul Jones Arena off of Massie Road.

Proximity to Grounds: A walk to Central Grounds will take approximately 20-25 minutes from Faulkner. Students can take advantage of the adjacent NorthLine bus stop to get to Grounds and have easy access to the North Grounds Recreation Center.

Price: Faulkner costs $7,110 for the 2016-17 academic year.

Floor Plan: Each suite-style apartment consists of four bedrooms, one bathroom, a kitchen and a living room. Each bedroom is furnished with an extra-long twin bed, a desk with a chair and bookshelf, a dresser, wardrobe, mirror and wastebasket.

8. Copeley Apartments

Location: Copeley Apartments are located in North Grounds across from the Law School, close to the Darden School of Business.

Proximity to Grounds: Copeley has about a 30 minute walk to Grounds, but most students choose to take the NorthLine or Central Grounds Shuttle to commute.

Price: Copeley costs $7,110 for the 2016-17 academic year.

Floor Plan: Copeley dorms contain two single bedrooms, furnished with extra-long full sized beds, wardrobes and desks. The dorms each contain a kitchen, a living room and one and a half bathrooms.

9. Shea House

Location: The Shea House is located at the intersection of Monroe Lane and Jefferson Park Ave., near the other language houses.

Proximity to Grounds: It takes about five to 10 minutes to walk from the Shea House to Central Grounds.

Price: A single room costs $7,110 and a double room costs $6,340 for the 2016-17 academic year.

Floor Plan: The Shea House provides approximately 75 students with the opportunity to live in an environment of total language immersion. The Shea House serves as the cultural and linguistic center at the University for Russian, Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Urdu, Japanese, Korean and Persian languages.

10. La Maison Française

Location: The French House is located in the Barringer Mansion on Jefferson Park Ave., between the Medical Center and the Elson Student Health Center.

Proximity to Grounds: La Maison Française is a five to 10 minute walk to Central Grounds.

Price: For the 2016-17 academic year, a single room is $7,110 and a double room is $6,340.

Floor Plan: 27 undergraduate students live in 17 bedrooms, not including bedrooms occupied by one or two graduate students from France, as well as an undergraduate or graduate student who serves as resident language advisor. La Maison Française also includes a living room, a seminar room, a dining room and a library.

11. La Casa Bolivar

Location: La Casa Bolivar is located on Jefferson Park Avenue, between the Shea House and La Maison Française.

Proximity to Grounds: It takes about five to 10 minutes to walk from La Casa Bolivar to most buildings on Central Grounds.

Price: Like the other language houses, La Casa Bolivar costs $7,110 for a single room and $6,340 for a double room.

Floor Plan: Approximately 24 residents live in double and single occupancy rooms.

12. IRC

Location: The International Residential College’s four main buildings are located near Alumni Hall on Emmet Street, across from the Snyder tennis courts.

Proximity to Grounds: Most students can walk to Grounds in about 10 minutes, and have the benefit of easy access to Memorial Gym.

Price: Prices for the IRC are $5,880 for the double rooms, $6,650 for singles in Munford and Gwathmey, $6,950 for singles in Lewis and Hoxton and $7,110 for Lewis and Hoxton singles with a private bath.

Floor plan: Each of the four buildings have unique floor plans. All the buildings have air conditioning except Munford and Gwathmey. Different buildings include single, shared and suite-style rooms.

13. Brown College

Location: The University’s oldest residential college, Brown is located right next to Newcomb Hall, in between South Newcomb Rd. and McCormick Rd.

Proximity to Grounds: Because of its location on Central Grounds, Newcomb dining hall, most classes and libraries are minutes away by foot.

Price: Each suite costs $6,840.

Floor plan: Each suite contains two rooms connected to a bathroom with a shower, two toilets and two sinks. Each room comes with a closet, twin bed, dresser, waste basket and tile floors.

14. Hereford College

Location: Hereford College is situated on the south side of Observatory Hill, along with upperclassmen and transfer dorms Johnson, Malone, and Weedon on Hereford Drive. Hereford is adjacent to Runk Dining Hall and Gooch-Dillard dorms.

Proximity to Grounds: Hereford is about a 20 minute walk to Central Grounds. The NorthLine Bus stops at Hereford every 10 minutes during peak hours.

Price: A single room costs $6,160 and a double room costs $5,880 for the academic year.

Floor Plan: Hereford is made up of two buildings: Norris and Whyburn. The Houses are co-ed, single-sex by floor and air conditioned. Most first-year rooms are doubles, while upperclass rooms are singles.

15. The Lawn

Location: The core of Jefferson’s Academical Village, the 54 Lawn rooms allows select fourth-year students to wake up and be greeted by the Rotunda and the Lawn itself.

Proximity to Grounds: The closest a student can live to Central Grounds, everything is within walking distance including classes, Rugby Rd. and the Corner.

Price: Most rooms include a fireplace and will cost students $6,610. Rooms without a fireplace are $6,460.

Floor Plan: Rooms are 12’10” by 13’6” and each include a loftable twin bed, rocking chair, sink, secretary desk with a chair and built-in closet.