“Black Mirror” is a sharp-edged prophecy

Show’s third season continues terrifying anti-tech themes

“Black Mirror” knows how to make a name for itself. With just two seasons totaling six episodes, plus a Christmas special, the British anthology was bought by Netflix with a 12-episode order, and this third season is the first batch of six episodes. Now it has nearly twice the opportunity to keep doing what it does best — horrify, offend and disturb its viewers.

And it doesn’t disappoint. Imagine some of “The Twilight Zone’s” best episodes, but change the plotlines so they include lethal video games, mind-controlled soldiers and child pornography — that’s “Black Mirror.”

This isn’t meant to be a criticism. It may not cater to a wide audience, but there’s a lot to love with this show. Its message is worth heeding — the episodes are connected by the common theme of technology, and the negative effects it can have both on an individual and society at large.

An excellent example of this is season opener “Nosedive,” which depicts a world where social class is awarded entirely through an app. People rank their social interactions with each other on a five-star scale — the higher the rank, the more opportunities a person has in life. It’s chillingly realistic, and isn’t such a far cry from some apps that are popular now.

Another standout is finale “Hated in the Nation,” made even more impressive by its 90-minute run time. The viewer’s attention is held by the gripping plot, which can be interpreted as a brilliant reworking of “Nosedive.” It’s also one of the most disturbing — without giving anything away, let’s just say it gives “killer bees” a much more sinister meaning.

And the show isn’t entirely doom and gloom — just mostly. When things get a little too depressing, “San Junipero” lightens the mood with an unexpectedly emotional love story. This breath of fresh air is exactly what’s needed before diving back into the dark stuff.

If not for its clever social commentary, “Black Mirror” wouldn’t be worth watching. As it is, all of the unpleasant elements are justified by the idea that they’re right around the corner — and that’s the most terrifying part of the show. Science fiction has never felt so scary because it’s never been so realistic.

“Black Mirror” is not a show meant for the faint-hearted or weak-stomached viewer, but behind all the horror lies wisdom. The trick is finding it.