Craig Littlepage takes time away to attend to family

<p>Littlepage has been on leave from Virginia since Oct. 24.&nbsp;</p>

Littlepage has been on leave from Virginia since Oct. 24. 

The University announced Tuesday that Director of Athletics Craig Littlepage will have an adjusted schedule from Oct. 24 to Jan. 2 because of personal reasons involving a family member.

Jon Oliver, the University’s executive associate athletics director, will take over as the acting director of athletics during Littlepage’s time away. Littlepage’s adjusted schedule will not prompt any other operational or staff changes in the athletics department, according to the University.

Littlepage said in a release following the University’s announcement that he is attending to the “wellness of an aging member of [his] family,” which requires frequent travel away from Charlottesville. Littlepage plans to return to his full-time position in January.

Littlepage was appointed as Virginia’s athletic director in 2001, but has been involved in the University’s athletic administration since his role as assistant athletics director in 1990. Hailing from LaMott, Pa., he was the first African-American athletic director in ACC history. Littlepage holds several ACC and NCAA leadership positions — including serving on various NCAA Division I committees.

Littlepage has overseen success from Virginia athletics programs during his tenure, including 12 NCAA championships and 70 ACC titles. The University has added new athletic facilities under Littlepage, including the George Welsh Indoor Practice Facility and John Paul Jones Arena. Virginia basketball coach Tony Bennett, baseball coach Brian O’Connor, men’s tennis coach Brian Boland and football coach Bronco Mendenhall are among the list of coaches Littlepage has hired for Virginia.