Fans "wanna know" more

Maroon 5 surprises with latest single

<p>Maroon 5 debuted&nbsp;“She Will Be Loved,”&nbsp;onto the electronic scene with their latest hit, “Don’t Wanna Know” ft. Kendrick Lamar.</p>

Maroon 5 debuted “She Will Be Loved,” onto the electronic scene with their latest hit, “Don’t Wanna Know” ft. Kendrick Lamar.

Gone are the days of the laid back, soft rock vibes of “She Will Be Loved,” as Maroon 5 debuted onto the electronic scene with their latest hit, “Don’t Wanna Know” ft. Kendrick Lamar. The single is a catchy, upbeat ballad about an estranged ex that makes the band’s genre transition marginally exciting.

The song opens with an electronic rhythm, incorporating caribbean style drumbeats and high pitched background vocals, a style reminiscent of EDM stars like Kygo and the Chainsmokers. The lively intro hooks listeners in as lead singer Adam Levine delves into the emotional pain of a breakup with the song’s blunt and candid first verse: “Wasted / And the more I drink the more I think about you / Oh no, no, I can't take it / Baby every place I go reminds me of you,” Levine croons in a longing voice. The soft echo of each lyric amplifies his pain, making his imaginings of an ex who’s moved on even more tangible to listeners.

While the first verse alone is enough to leave listeners with mixed emotions, the chorus perfectly captures the uneasy feeling of not wanting to know something, as the song title suggests. The repetitiveness of the lyrics, “I don't wanna know, know, know, know / Who's taking you home, home, home, home / And loving you so, so, so, so / The way I used to love you, no,” creates a dual effect, as their catchiness draws listeners in and their relatability makes the sad sentiments palpable.

Although the band successfully grips listeners’ attention with the emotional rawness of the first two verses, the third verse, performed by Kendrick Lamar, is a big let down. Lamar, usually known for his clever and innovative lyrics, lacks creativity in his portion of the song. With lyrics like, “No more ‘please stop’ / No more hashtag boo'd up screenshots,” Lamar creates no memorable or witty lines and could easily have been replaced with any other mainstream rapper.

Overall however, Maroon 5 has made a successful yet surprising change with the release of “Don’t Wanna Know,” one which will hopefully carry over into their future work.