First year experience in five words

Summing up the transition to University life

<p>This year's first-year class of&nbsp;3,685 students hail from 45 states and more than 70 countries, however each has a unique experience on Grounds.&nbsp;</p>

This year's first-year class of 3,685 students hail from 45 states and more than 70 countries, however each has a unique experience on Grounds. 

As a whole, the first-year class is incredibly diverse — the 3,685 students included in it hail from 45 states and more than 70 countries, and represent a unique assortment of interests, talents, hobbies and accomplishments. Each new ’Hoo followed her own path to this school and will continue to do so in their time here.

Although they might not have the same experiences individually, the collective U.Va. first-year experience is something that binds them all. We asked several first-year students to describe the first half of their semester in six words or less. This is what they had to say:

Anthony Del Rosso, College student

“The best and worst of times.”

Omar Elhaj, College student

“Amazing people and good times.”

Cayden Dalton, College student

“The time of my life.”

Jimmy Lord, College student
“Lots of work but fun.”

Sai Konuri, Engineering student

“I want to go home.”

Rana Rahman, College student

“I get absolutely no sleep.”

Aaron Zuo, College student

“One big, fat rager.”

Ryan Baillie, College student
“Underestimated the amount of work.”

Priscilla Opoku-Yeboah, College student
“Adventurous, exciting, confusing, emotional, comforting.”

Zach Glissman, College student
“College is high school on steroids.”

John Grady, College student
“Exciting, fun, work, friends, new.”

So what is the first-year experience? In short, it seems to be a bit like stepping on a roller coaster with a blindfold — frightening but fun, unpredictable but still something like it was expected to be — and after the blindfold has been ripped off by the sheer speed of the trip, an experience that doesn’t seem quite as scary as it did when you first hopped on.