Honor selects latest pool of support officers

Selection pool shows signs of improvement, but still lacking some demographics

<p>Honor Chair Matt West.</p>

Honor Chair Matt West.

Last week, the Honor Committee released its selections for the 2016-17 class of support officers. The applicants went through an extensive process that narrowed down the pool to 38 members.

Of the 277 students who registered for the Honor exam on Collab, 166 students actually completed the exam. The exam tested the knowledge of its applicants on the entire Honor Committee complete with its reporting process, the different types of officers, how are trials run and what happens if a student is found guilty.

“I think, generally speaking, I was really happy with the outcome of this year's selections process,” Honor Chair Matt West, a fourth-year College student, said. “We had a large group of well deserving applicants and so it made our selection process even harder.”

After the exam period was complete, 130 people received first round interviews. Of those, 82 received a second round interview. From those 82, the 38 members of the support officer class were chosen.

“Support officers essentially assist the Honor Committee in day to day functions,” West said. “They represent party hearings, advise students throughout the process before hearings and they educate the student body about what the system means and how best to support it.”

When broken down by ethnicity, the support officers are relative to the groups that are a part of the University community.

Of the new officers, 24 members identify as white. Six members identify as African, African-American or Afro-Caribbean. Four representatives are Asian. Lastly, there are two students who identify as Middle Eastern, one as Indian and one as Hispanic.

“If you look at the demographic breakdown of the student population, the breakdown is very similar,” West said.

Of those selected, 17 students are male and 21 students are female. The College took up a majority of the pool with a total of 31 members out of 38.

First- and second-year students also made up most of the support officer pool with 21 and 13 members, respectively. The Committee only selected one third-year student and three graduate students.

“There are always places where we can improve with regards to student representation, but I am glad that we had a good pool of graduate students in the mix,” West said. “Overall I am very happy with the group of 38 that we selected through this year’s process.”