No. 16 Men’s soccer ties Pittsburgh in scoreless match

<p>Senior forward Marcus Salandy-Defour was the closest to scoring for the No. 16 Cavaliers, although adverse weather conditions proved too formidable an obstacle.&nbsp;</p>

Senior forward Marcus Salandy-Defour was the closest to scoring for the No. 16 Cavaliers, although adverse weather conditions proved too formidable an obstacle. 

The No. 16 Virginia men’s soccer team tied Pittsburgh in a scoreless double-overtime match Friday. With the tie, the Cavaliers’ (8-2-5, 2-2-3 ACC) unbeaten streak now stands at eight matches.

In wet and windy conditions, neither Virginia nor Pittsburgh (2-11-3, 0-5-2 ACC) were able to capitalize on scoring opportunities. In the first half, the Cavaliers had their first quality look from junior midfielder Pablo Aguilar, but his shot missed wide. At the start of the second half, Virginia senior forward Nicko Corriveau’s cross just missed senior forward Marcus Salandy-Defour in the box.

Pittsburgh also had a good look on goal at the end of the game. The Panthers’ junior forward Kevin Angulo found himself open in the middle of the box, but shot just wide of the post.

Pittsburgh has yet to win a match in ACC play.

Virginia held possession throughout most of the game, taking nine shots compared to Pittsburgh’s five. The Cavaliers also had 12 corners total, four of which came during overtime.

Despite being unable to score, Virginia had a strong defensive effort once again. Junior goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell kept opposing teams scoreless for the third match in the row.

The Virginia defense has shut out its opponent in six of its last eight games, and look to do the same in the next matchup. The Cavaliers will face Duke at home Friday, Oct. 28 in the last match of the regular season. Prior to the match the team will honor its seven seniors.