Muir returns to classroom after leave of absence

Decision to take leave was his own, lecturer says

<p>Douglas Muir, an executive lecturer in the Engineering School and the Darden School.</p>

Douglas Muir, an executive lecturer in the Engineering School and the Darden School.

Douglas Muir, an executive lecturer in the Engineering School and the Darden School, returned to teach his classes Monday after a week-long leave of absence.

“Neither the U.Va. School of Engineering, nor President [Teresa] Sullivan, ever fired me, asked me to resign or take a leave absence,” Muir said in an email statement. “It was my decision to take a one week leave of absence due to the amount of threats I was receiving. It was approved by the Engineering School for the protection of myself, my family and my students.”

Muir compared the Black Lives Matter movement to the Ku Klux Klan in a comment on a Facebook post depicting Black Lives Matter co-founder Alicia Garza speaking at the Paramount Theater on Oct. 4.

“Black lives matter is the biggest rasist organisation [sic] since the clan [sic]. Are you kidding me. Disgusting!!!” Muir wrote, commenting on a post from Charlottesville realtor Roger Voisinet.

Muir agreed to take leave on Oct. 7 following criticism from student groups and administrators. He released an apology Oct. 12, stating he was “saddened by the pain it has caused this wonderful community.”

“I commend the way the Engineering School and President Sullivan dealt with this very unfortunate situation I caused," Muir said.

Muir is teaching three classes in the Engineering School this semester. He is not teaching any classes at Darden this semester.