Reports of rape decreased between 2014, 2015

University's annual fire safety and security report released

<p>Total reports of rape decreased between 2014 and 2015. Reports of on-Grounds rape totaled 35 in 2014, but that number fell to just seven in 2015, all of which were reported to take place in student housing.</p>

Total reports of rape decreased between 2014 and 2015. Reports of on-Grounds rape totaled 35 in 2014, but that number fell to just seven in 2015, all of which were reported to take place in student housing.

The University released its annual Fire Safety and Security Report last week. The report contains information related to University initiatives designed to promote student safety, statistics on crimes committed on Grounds and an overview of disciplinary policies and procedures.

The report was distributed to the University community last Thursday in an email from Gabe Gates, assistant vice president for Clery Compliance.

Total reports of rape decreased between 2014 and 2015. Reports of on-Grounds rape totaled 35 in 2014, but that number fell to just seven in 2015, all of which were reported to take place in student housing. Twenty-six instances of “forcible sex offenses” were reported in 2013 under a different classification system.

Reports of burglary also decreased from a high of 52 in 2013 to just 16 last year.

In addition to reminding students of safety initiatives like SafeRide and the Ambassadors Program, Gates also encouraged the community to make use of Just Report It, an online tool intended specifically for reporting incidents of “bias, hazing or sexual or gender based violence,” according to the University’s website.

“Reporting through the Just Report It system has increased this past year, and the University continues to encourage you to use the Just Report It system with the full confidence that such reports will be treated seriously and investigated promptly and impartially,” Gates said in the email.