Swimming and Diving emerges victorious in first meet

<p>Fresh off a signature performance at the 2016 Rio Games,&nbsp;senior Leah Smith broke two pool records against Pittsburgh on Friday.&nbsp;</p>

Fresh off a signature performance at the 2016 Rio Games, senior Leah Smith broke two pool records against Pittsburgh on Friday. 

The Virginia swimming and diving teams defeated the Pittsburgh Panthers Friday in the teams’ first meet of the season. The women’s team won 187-108, while the men emerged victorious with a score of 186.5-108.5. The Cavaliers (1-0) took first in 27 out of 28 swimming events.

Standouts included senior swimmer Leah Smith, who broke both the 500-yard and 1,000-yard freestyle Aquatic and Fitness Center records Friday.

On the men’s side, freshman John Whiteside finished first in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 45.26 seconds, while sophomore Sam Magnan placed first in both the 500-yard and 1,000-yard freestyle events.

“I was very pleased with the effort on both sides today,” head coach Augie Busch said. “The majority of our swims were lifetime dual-meet bests, which is awesome.”

The Cavalier diving teams found success as well, sweeping the Panthers in both men’s and women’s diving.

“I was happy with the divers today,” head diving coach Jason Glorius said. “We did a nice job of focusing on the process so the results were there when we needed them to be.”

In the coming weeks, Virginia will face strong teams in Michigan and Penn State.

“Michigan and Penn State will present a much stiffer challenge in two weeks,” Busch said. “We must get back to work and clean up several details if we are going to be as competitive as we want to be.”

If their season opener is any indicator, the Cavaliers should have plenty to be confident about heading into their next competition.

The Cavaliers’ meet against Michigan and Penn State is scheduled for 5 p.m. Friday, Nov. 4 at the Aquatics and Fitness Center in Charlottesville.