The Skinny: Field hockey faces No. 4 Maryland in marquee matchup

<p>Senior striker Riley Tata looks to lead the No. 8&nbsp;Cavaliers in their final game of the season.&nbsp;</p>

Senior striker Riley Tata looks to lead the No. 8 Cavaliers in their final game of the season. 

What: Virginia vs. Maryland

Where: College Park, Md.

When: Tuesday, 4 p.m.

The Skinny: Following a disappointing overtime defeat to No. 7 Louisville (15-3, 3-3 ACC), No. 9 Virginia (11-6, 3-3 ACC) looks to respond against yet another top-10 opponent. That opponent is No. 5 Maryland (13-3, 6-1 Big Ten), a perennial powerhouse in field hockey.

Despite the loss to the Cardinals, the Cavaliers are playing good hockey. They have won seven of their last nine games. Both losses were in overtime to top-10 ACC schools, with the other being No.4 North Carolina (13-4, 4-3 ACC).

In the defeat to Louisville, Virginia had the first goal before conceding two going into halftime. The Cavaliers tied the game at two before having a game-winning last-second penalty corner goal negated due to a kicked ball foul. Virginia’s bad luck continued as they let in a goal on a fast break play.

The Terps are the second-to-last game for the Cavaliers. The last is Sunday against James Madison in Charlottesville. Maryland comes into the game on a six-game winning streak. The biggest of those wins was their last, a 2-1 win over No. 1 Connecticut (16-1, 6-0 Big East). The Huskies were undefeated on the season before the matchup with the Terps, including a devastating 8-0 win over Virginia over a month ago.