“Tiimmy Turner” remix far surpasses original

Kanye West adds substance to Desiigner’s lacking track

<p>"Tiimy Turner" remix gets a fresh layer of depth and innovation thanks to collaborator Kanye West.</p>

"Tiimy Turner" remix gets a fresh layer of depth and innovation thanks to collaborator Kanye West.

Unlike Desiigner’s original “Tiimmy Turner” track, the remix featuring Kanye West delivers lyrical substance and aesthetic appeal. Officially released Oct. 14, the remix provides a gratifying listening experience thanks to West and his artistry. He adds real value and credibility to a largely nonsensical track and as a new artist on West’s G.O.O.D. Music label, Desiigner’s collaboration with West is hopefully one of many to come.

As an up-and-coming rapper mainly known for his viral hit “Panda,” Desiigner increases his relevance in the rap world with this West feature. In the remix, West elevates “Tiimmy Turner” to a richer, more respectable track. The original song, an adaption of Desiigner’s XXL Freshman Freestyle, has a few strengths, notably the entrancing beat and Desiigner’s hypnotic delivery, but its release garnered mixed reviews. Some critics praised the track’s beat while others denounced the unintelligible hook. With the addition of West on the remix, though, the song is destined for greater recognition and critical acclaim.

While the remix retains “Tiimmy Turner’s” infamous hook and mysterious tone, the beat is more stripped down, allowing Desiigner and West’s rapping to take center stage. The remix is refreshingly short compared to the original, which consisted of Desiigner incessantly repeating the hook for four minutes with the rare exception of two brief verses.

West’s lone verse in the remix gives listeners a well-needed break from Desiigner’s monotonous, incomprehensible drawl. The verse is saturated with classic West egoism, complete with rhymes highlighting his level of genius. However, he also addresses race, gun violence and the unrelenting criticism that still affects him despite his professional success. Through his inclusion of these topics, West contributes depth to Desiigner’s energy.

Despite his tiring delivery and limited substance, Desiigner’s unique sound complements West’s skillful, seasoned flow. His distinct style plus West’s solid feature make for an overall refreshing remix.