Two Door Cinema Club refuses to play it safe

Indie-rock band returns with powerful third album “Gameshow”

<p>Two Door Cinema Club has come back bigger and better than ever with their disco-pop, synth-infused third record “Gameshow.”</p>

Two Door Cinema Club has come back bigger and better than ever with their disco-pop, synth-infused third record “Gameshow.”

Following their 2014 tour, Irish indie band Two Door Cinema Club took an 18-month hiatus, essentially disappearing from the music world. The success of their debut album “Tourist History” and follow-up record “Beacon” led to the group’s temporary separation, but their preliminary hits like “Something Good Can Work” and “What You Know” remained popular, while also creating space for other indie groups to emerge.

As lead singer Alex Trimble said in an interview with The Guardian, the split occurred because “[the band] sacrificed so much of our lives to keep getting bigger and better.”

However, the band has come back bigger and better than ever with their disco-pop, synth-infused third record “Gameshow.” The record is undeniably edgy and razor-sharp, with punches of synth sounds, hard-hitting beats and rattling electric guitar solos mirroring the familiar indie vibes of the band’s earlier records while also providing a new, more mature sound.

Opening track “Are We Ready? (Wreck)” introducers listeners to the band’s growth and experimentation through the use of a sampled children’s choir coupled with a simple, clean guitar riff. Trimble’s voice emerges, the same familiar, breathy tones encompassing the track, but with a twist — Trimble sings in mostly falsetto. This trend continues throughout the whole record, as the singer takes his vocals to new heights, literally. His falsetto beams through in songs like “Je Viens De La” and “Surgery,” providing a new sense of vocal power. He is more daring, refusing to play it safe.

In addition to taking risks with the vocals, the band also experiments with 1980s synths and funky, rhythmic bass lines reminiscent of 1970s disco. Combined, Trimble’s voice, the synth sounds and the harsh, pointed beats create an atmosphere saturated in texture and surprise.

The lyrics touch on important subjects related to Two Door Cinema Club’s growth, both as a group and as individuals. The opening lines of many songs stun listeners, such as, “I’m a sinner / I’m the victim / I’m an alien when I’m myself” from “Good Morning.” Similarly, in the retro pop-rock hit “Bad Decisions,” Trimble opens with, “Save me, I’ve been drinking wine / And I just made a big mistake / Happens all the time.” These lines, while covered in seemingly upbeat and interesting instrumentation, emphasize an element of self-discovery and reinvention, which seems to trickle down through the entire record.

With “Gameshow,” Two Door Cinema Club embraces imperfection and self-doubt. The album is packed with punches of raw emotion, inviting listeners to take a trip into the bruised, yet fearless minds of the Irish group. They have quite the story to tell.