Women's rowing finishes 4th in fall opener

<p>Varsity Eight opened their fall season with a sixth overall finish at the 52nd Head of The Charles Regatta.</p>

Varsity Eight opened their fall season with a sixth overall finish at the 52nd Head of The Charles Regatta.

The Virginia rowing team’s Varsity Eight opened their fall season with a sixth overall finish at the 52nd Head of The Charles Regatta last Sunday.

With a time of 17:00.574, the Cavalier Varsity Eight finished fourth among collegiate boats, falling to Yale, Brown and Michigan. Less than a second separated Yale (16:47.046) from Brown (16:47.739), with Michigan about six seconds behind (16:53.339) and Virginia about seven more seconds out.

In the same race last year, the Cavalier Varsity Eight finished third among collegiate boats, and from 2011-14, finished in the top collegiate spot four years running.

Among this year’s Varsity Eight is sophomore Heidi Long, who won ACC Freshman of the Year last spring. Also on the Varsity Eight boat are senior captains Ellen Pate in four-seat and Georgia Ratcliff in six-seat. The rest of the Varsity Eight is made up of four seniors and two juniors.

Virginia’s Second Varsity Eight also had a strong showing, placing 14th overall and 12th among collegiate boats in 17:45.069.

The Cavalier rowing program has been very successful, winning 16 ACC Championships over the past 17 years and placing fifth overall at last year’s NCAA Championships.

A Virginia Alumni Eight raced as well, finishing fourth. The team included two Olympians, along with assistant coach Kristine O’Brien.

Next Sunday, Virginia will continue its fall season at the Princeton Chase.