​Women’s soccer looks to hand Duke first ACC loss

Cavaliers coming off a big road win at Notre Dame

<p>Senior defender&nbsp;Meghan Cox and Virginia will look to take down No. 6 Duke Saturday.</p>

Senior defender Meghan Cox and Virginia will look to take down No. 6 Duke Saturday.

The No. 12 Virginia women’s soccer team is reaching the final stretch of conference play as it travels to scorching hot No. 6 Duke. The Blue Devils (11-2-2, 5-0-1 ACC) have won four-straight ACC games and are looking like a national title contender.

The Cavaliers (10-2-2, 3-1-2 ACC) were the first team to beat then-No. 20 Notre Dame on its home turf. This was a crucial win for Virginia as it was the team’s first ACC road win and first road win since defeating Liberty Aug. 19.

Senior midfielder Alexis Shaffer scored the only goal of the contest, as her second half penalty kick was all that was needed to beat the Fighting Irish.

Saturday’s game between Duke and Virginia features two of the top four ACC teams. The Cavaliers trail Duke 16-11 in ACC points.

“Getting two big wins against Pitt and Notre Dame boosted our confidence after a couple of ties,” senior defender Meghan Cox said. “It’s huge to get those wins leading into the Duke game because we are both top teams. We need to really focus on winning this one.”

Duke has a high-powered offense that averages 2.57 goals per game. The Blue Devils only allow .79 goals per game, so it will be crucial for Virginia’s defense to limit Duke’s shot attempts.

Junior forward Veronica Latsko believes the Cavaliers are starting to play like a complete team.

“We wouldn’t have performed as well as we did against Notre Dame at the beginning of our season compared to now,” she said. “We are working together and are all on the same page.”

Following the road game at Duke, Virginia will have two home games and a road game before the ACC Tournament begins Oct. 30. Look for Virginia to establish its pace early on against Duke.

“We need to build off that game against Notre Dame and continue to be patient in the attacking third to make and finish our quality chances,” Cox said.

Kickoff is Saturday at 7:00 p.m. in Durham, N.C.