CENNAME: Make the First Writing requirement mandatory

The requirement adheres to the spirit of a liberal arts education

Like many other ambitious first-year students, I wanted to place out of as many entry-level classes as possible upon arrival to the University. Exemption from ENWR 1510 “Critical Writing and Inquiry,” the course specified by the first writing requirement, seemed liked one of the easiest ways I could accomplish this goal. Even though my high school did not offer an AP English class, I could simply submit a portfolio of my work to be reviewed by the English Department. I had a strong feeling I would place out. I had scored perfectly on the reading portion of the ACT, and was overall a very motivated student in my high school English classes. After a few days of rummaging through my old English essays — an act which now seems like nonsense — but at the time a very strategic move, I quit. Instead of attempting to dodge the requirement, I decided my communication skills could always use improvement. After being immersed into ENWR during these past several weeks, I now believe all students should take the first writing requirement because the course fosters the creation of a nuanced mindset within all students.

Kenneth P. Ruscio, president of Washington and Lee University, advocated for this nuanced-focused mindset within his students at the university’s 224th commencement address. Nuanced individuals search for more complex understandings of situations instead of simply comprehending facts. They act upon the belief that “wisdom is not the same as more and better information,” according to Ruscio. Their mindset could also lead to finding a nuanced connection, — for example, a discovery of an interdisciplinary connection between a religion and biology class. Ruscio adds, “Certitude is a poor proxy for rational thinking,” and although this certainty offers one freedom from doubt, it is not always as liberating as it may seem. When we free ourselves from all doubt, we imprison ourselves in blissful ignorance, unable to see beyond the surface of our beliefs, emotions and relationships. Thus, a lack of nuance leads to the inability to appreciate each other’s beliefs and question our own.

Arguments inevitably exist for supporting the exemption of the first writing requirement from students who stand firm in their belief that they do not need ENWR. Content with their high-level of academic performance in high school, many students choose to take advantage of this exemption, and are likely satisfied that they do not have to fill their curriculum with an English course. Some students may cite the need for extra time to engage with a specific area of interest, and some many even skip ENWR only to take a more advanced English course.

Yet, beyond the enhancement of writing skills, ENWR delves into subjects that can lead to self-discovery. Further, demonstration of high-level analytical thinking in a high school class should not exempt one from enhanced self-discovery in college. Although taking other classes at the University besides ENWR can very well spur introspective thinking, ENWR specifically focuses on developing this mindset. In fact, the course description on the English Department website states that ENWR “enables students to reflect on complex problems in light of how others have attempted to address them.” Students who decline to take ENWR lose an opportunity to ponder and challenge major concepts regarding life in new and challenging ways — a challenge that philosopher Isaiah Berlin claims is an “understanding of what it is to be human.”

The main page for the College website describes the intentions of the College, stating, “At our core, we believe a good liberal arts education must provide students with an extensive base of intellectual content and skills that enables them to explore ideas, evaluate evidence critically, draw reasoned conclusions, and communicate one’s thoughts in a clear, coherent manner. ” Simply put, the College promotes the development of a nuanced-focused mindset. This motto manifests in the area and competency requirements, which require students to take courses in the humanities and sciences. However, the College also makes it fairly easy for incoming first-years to place out of the first writing requirement. Thankfully, the general education requirements of the College are changing. In fact, starting next fall, the University will begin to implement a new curriculum in which students will no longer be able to test out of a writing requirement. While they will still be able to place out of ENWR 1510, they will be required to take a higher-level English course. Regardless, due to the nature of the introductory course’s emphasis on writing, and the way that it specifically develops a nuanced and focused mindset, I maintain my belief that all students should be required to take ENWR 1510.

Alison Cenname is a first-year College student.