A place for Hoos to heal

Finding solace in the Elson Student Health Center

Believe it or not, it took a colossal amount of effort to find my way to the Elson Student Health Center, and it wasn’t due to my geographically challenged nature — which, trust me, is a force to be reckoned with. No, the effort came from my exhaustion — just that morning, on my way to Grounds, I felt lightheaded standing on an overcrowded bus. It was odd. Truth be told, I don’t consider myself to be a hypochondriac. Even when all the symptoms point to sickness, I don’t visit health care centers. That’s the real kicker, I suppose. Until now, I had been fortunate enough to never need a spontaneous healthcare visit.

That’s the thing, though — when you are sick, you know you are sick. There’s no question. There’s no searching WebMD and finding symptoms that match. You just know.

That’s how I found myself outside of Student Health. The building itself was easy to find, to my relief. It was well-marked and a short walk from Nau-Gibson Hall. As I entered, I was struck by how many facilities were open and available to U.Va. students; the pharmacy was practically in the lobby, and there were signs that directed students to a host of different medical offices — general medicine, health promotion, gynecology, counseling and psychological services. The variety makes this health center a viable resource, which is important for students — considering that college tends to be the first time students are on their own. The more help, the better.

I walked in the appropriate direction until I came across a receptionist with a deadpan disposition. While tapping her red pen against her temple, she asked routine questions — “What’s your date of birth?” and “Do you have your insurance card with you?” — and I responded without hesitation. Admittedly, she did not seem happy about any of the circumstances surrounding her job. Not that I could blame her. She had a stressful, arduous and — by the looks of the crowded waiting room — nonstop job, and that would be enough to make any person cranky.

After finding the health center, the right department and a chair tucked away from all other students, I waited for my name to be called.

For that half hour, I played the part of an observer — someone too withdrawn to be sensibly productive, but could sit silently and still for an extended period of time. I started to notice oddities, too, as I sat there. For instance, the trash cans were all filled with empty cans of Gatorade and plastic straws. It also seemed like the majority of sick students were walk-ins and few were even uninsured. Some students approached the desk with envelopes — containing lab results — and took a seat with the others. Some students exited the back room, with either dejected or triumphant expressions. The variety was off-putting, but I was much too exhausted to care all that much.

“Madeline?”

It was a nurse, dressed in light blue scrubs and holding a clipboard. She gestured for me to stand and follow her into the back room. I did. The appointment itself was long — it included a discussion with the nurse, two consultations with the doctor and a visit to the lab for bloodwork — but it was worth it. I was given a diagnosis. Not an instant fix, admittedly, but an answer and something to work alongside. That was all I needed.

With a doctor’s note, a stack of health pamphlets and a can of orange Gatorade, I wandered from the health center and into the real world.

Before my sickness, I had only briefly heard of the Student Health Center — in fact, it was a quasi-acquaintance that suggested I schedule an appointment at the health center. I agreed with a slight shrug, but nothing more. It was accidental, coincidental, but I’m nonetheless thankful that I made that call. It was the right choice to seek attention — as the visit offered answers and a quickened recovery time — and I would encourage all Hoos to utilize the facilities this center provides. It is a resource for us students and it is vital that we be unafraid to utilize it.

Whether we like it or not, college students are more susceptible to illnesses — we’re exhausted, stressed and tend not to focus on our nutritional intake. We will develop sickness. It is the natural order of things. When this does become an inevitability, students need to put aside all stressors and focus on themselves.

If we take care of ourselves — the best we can with what we have — we will not stay down for long. Soon enough, we’ll be back on our feet, back in class and back to our late-night study sessions.

All in due time.