Expect the unexpected

When things don't go as planned

I am a planner. I like to write out my weekly schedule on a sticky note on my MacBook, my version of an agenda. Though I usually have to adjust the schedule, I try my best to stick to it. Overall, I like to know in advance what I will be doing each day of the week.

However, this past weekend, things did not go according to plan.

After class on Friday, I planned to get some homework done before grabbing lunch with a friend. However, as I was preparing to start my work, another friend called me. Though she had originally called to tell me a crazy story, we ended up talking about some other problems she was having. By the time we were finished talking, it was time for me to have lunch.

I finally started my homework once I got home. Even then, I had only done about a portion of it when it was time for me to meet up with friends. By the time I came home, I figured I could put off the rest of my work until Saturday. After a long week of academics, I simply wanted to relax and watch “Jane the Virgin.”

Saturday passed by too quickly. Forgetting how time-consuming doing laundry in Lambeth could be, I planned to have all of my reading done before meeting up with a friend to get coffee and go to the library. But by the time my clothes were clean, I still had a good amount of reading left to do and had yet to start my media studies paper, which I wanted to finish that weekend.

Like with my laundry, I underestimated how long it would take me to finish my reading. Even after going to the library, I still had not started my paper. Pushing my worries aside, I went to the Corner to eat with my friend after the library closed. I planned to at least outline my paper once we finished our meal, but again things came up and I had to move it to my agenda for Sunday.

On Sunday I figured I had plenty of time to work on my paper. But I was exhausted after my dance club’s dress rehearsal and accidently took a two-hour nap. I later started on the introduction of my paper and planned to continue to work on it after my regular dance rehearsals but again was too tired. My plan to avoid working on my paper during the school week had failed.

Despite this failure, several good things came out of me deviating from my plans. Firstly, by making time for my friend on Friday, I was able to support and encourage her. If I had simply told her I was busy, she may not have been able to vent the thoughts and emotions she needed to. On Saturday, I also spent much-needed time with another friend. I do not get to see her often, so it was good to simply catch up.

Though I did not realize this until I attended my TA’s office hours on Tuesday, it ultimately was good that I did not write much of my paper over the weekend. There were parts of the instructions I did not understand until my TA explained them in greater depth, which meant I would have had to revise my paper if I had completed it earlier. I still did not like having to complete my paper during the week, but it helped to have my TA’s full expectations in mind while writing.

Overall, this weekend reminded me to expect the unexpected. There will be times when things pop up in my schedule, as well as times where I overestimate the amount of work I can get done in a day. By always trying to stick to my plans, I may miss out on a chance to be there for someone else. I may also miss out on a good night’s rest by trying to complete my sticky note schedule.

Though I still will need to make weekly agendas to keep track of my homework and other commitments, I now will keep this lesson in mind by being more realistic when making my schedules. I must use my experiences and good judgment to properly plan and allow for some wiggle room. I also plan to put free time in my schedule at least a few times a week. This time will not only be for unexpected things but also for non-academic activities, such as catching up with a friend or family member.

These practices will ultimately help me to go with the flow more easily. Though I should try to stick to my schedule, I should not get upset when things do not go as planned. As seen by my weekend, good things can come out of the unexpected.