Football drops sixth consecutive game at Georgia Tech

Cavaliers finish season at Virginia Tech next week

<p>Senior quarterback Matt Johns replaced junior Kurt Benkert as the starter this week, but saw the same results, as the Cavaliers dropped their sixth straight game.&nbsp;</p>

Senior quarterback Matt Johns replaced junior Kurt Benkert as the starter this week, but saw the same results, as the Cavaliers dropped their sixth straight game. 

Despite a strong first half, the Virginia football team saw another game slip away, as they lost to Georgia Tech Saturday afternoon by a score of 31-17.

The Cavaliers (2-9, 1-6 ACC) led 10-7 going into the second half, but couldn’t hold on, as senior quarterback Matt Johns was intercepted three times in the second half. Johns appeared as Virginia’s starter for the first time this season — replacing junior quarterback Kurt Benkert — and was able to tally 220 yards while going 27 of 44 against the Yellow Jackets (7-4, 4-4 ACC).

Senior running back Taquan Mizzell was strong yet again for the Cavaliers — leading the offense with 131 rushing yards on 24 carries.

However, Virginia had trouble with Georgia Tech’s dynamic running game. Senior quarterback Justin Thomas completed five of 10 passes for 122 yards, while sophomore running back Marcus Marshall led the Yellow Jackets offense with 127 yards on 16 carries, including a career-long 67 yard touchdown in the first half. Thomas threw a 54-yard touchdown pass, and sophomore running back Qua Searcy ran for a 60-yard touchdown.

Virginia came close in the fourth quarter, when Johns threw a one-yard touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Ryan Santoro, cutting the lead to just seven, 24-17. However, a turnover squandered any chance the Cavaliers had of a comeback, as Johns was intercepted on the next offensive drive, and junior defensive back Lance Austin returned the ball 24 yards for a touchdown, extending Georgia Tech’s lead to 31-17.

Virginia finishes its season next Saturday on the road in Blacksburg against rival Virginia Tech.