“How to Get Away with Murder” continues to live up to its name

Fall season is fraught with secrets, lies

<p>Viola Davis stars as&nbsp;Annalise Keating in the third season of "How to Get Away with Murder."&nbsp;</p>

Viola Davis stars as Annalise Keating in the third season of "How to Get Away with Murder." 

The fall finale of “How to Get Away with Murder” answers the question that has been on every viewer’s mind — who was under the sheet? The first episode of season three showed Annalise’s (Viola Davis) house up in flames with a single person wheeled out under a white sheet, though their identity was not revealed until the finale. However, many will be distraught due to a final reveal that left viewers with more questions than answers.

An erratic timeline is nothing new for “How to Get Away with Murder.” Every season has revolved around dramatic flash-forwards that set the tone for the season, with each progressive episode revealing more information about how the present eventually matches up with the dangerous future. The third season of “How to Get Away with Murder” continues on this path, but the mounting drama doesn’t stop the show from feeling fresh. With continued character development, new storylines and cast additions, “How to Get Away with Murder” remains fiercely addicting.

The Keating Five, a group of law students who bond together in the first season through dark secrets, adds a sense of normalcy to the otherwise over-the-top show. As Michaela (Aja Naomi King) struggles to come to terms with her past, Wes (Alfred Enoch) and Laurel (Karla Souza) try to deal with their feelings for each other. Connor (Jack Falahee) faces rejection and mixed feelings from his boyfriend, and Asher (Matt McGorry) deals with being financially cut off from his family. The Keating Five also frets about exam scores and how best to impress their professor.

The interweaving of these traditional character struggles allows “How to Get Away with Murder” to remain relatable to viewers.The season unravels the complex past of Annalise’s associate, Frank Delfino (Charlie Weber). Though Delfino has always carried an aura of sleaziness, the third season reveals his criminal past and connection to Annalise.

Davis steals the show as hard-headed criminal lawyer and professor Annalise Keating. The season follows Annalise’s fall from grace as she is demoted in her teaching position, terrorized by hateful flyers around the university, suspended from practicing law and eventually forced to publicly face her alcoholism. Despite this, Annalise continues to be resilient and resourceful, sometimes stooping to secrecy and manipulation to get what she wants. Davis captures all of Annalise’s triumphs and sorrows in such convincing clarity that viewers find themselves pitying and empathizing with her.

The introduction of Lauren Luna Vélez as Soraya Hargrove, Middleton University’s new president, provides a professional equal and interesting character foil for Annalise. The two strong, successful women struggle to prove themselves in the workplace and establish their dominance over one another. The sweet Hargrove has quite a few skeletons in her closet, which allows Annalise to empathize with her. As the season progresses, their relationship inches towards a complicated friendship.

While not every storyline of the fall season furthered the show’s overall premise, noting unnecessary was included. Following various relationship struggles and family drama allows the show to connect with viewers on a more traditional level. This would not be possible if “How to Get Away with Murder” focused only on its dramatic storylines. Whether fans are shocked, angry or confused by the mid-season finale, they will likely tune in when the show returns in the new year, considering how many questions remain unanswered.