“Jessica Rabbit” is a different breed of rock

Sleigh Bells’ fourth LP leaps to new heights

<p>Sleigh Bells' latest release, "Jessica Rabbit,"&nbsp;builds upon previous success.</p>

Sleigh Bells' latest release, "Jessica Rabbit," builds upon previous success.

Workout tunes, party songs, some very angry breakup music — there are myriad ways to classify the style of Sleigh Bells, but it all boils down to one concept: this band has serious energy. Over a three-LP career, the Brooklyn-based duo had made it their business to turn noise into art. With “Jessica Rabbit,” they’ve reached an explosive new level.

The album’s first track, “It’s Just Us Now,” is deceptive, tricking the listener into thinking the band’s new music will be more of the same — screaming guitars and breakneck beats. However, the music on the album quickly become more experimental. The third song, “Lightning Turns Sawdust Gold,” opens with plaintive notes on a piano, and several of the later tracks include hints of string instruments.

Things get even more unorthodox from there, but it pays off. A highlight of the album is “Crucible,” which makes disturbing but effective use of human screams intermingled with the tune. Another is a spoken chant repeated throughout the blaring, unapologetic “Rule Number One,” which makes it more cohesive and lends a strange sort of ritualistic power to the song.

Hidden behind all the bizarrely beautiful noise of the album’s more chaotic tracks is a somber undercurrent. “I Know Not to Count on You” starts loud but has an abrupt shift to acoustic halfway through and features lyrics erring on the side of regretful instead of furious. This style is all but alien for the music of Sleigh Bells, but it gives the LP a much deeper emotional power.

“Jessica Rabbit” is a masterful album and almost devoid of missteps. However, at times, the familiar angst of the band is overdone, and listeners feel like they’ve been hit over the head one time too many. “I Can’t Stand You Anymore” is the height of this flaw — if Taylor Swift ever wrote a heavy rock album, this song would belong on it.

However, the album is still an overwhelming success. The blend of ferocious, noisy rock and mellow meditation creates an emotional depth unseen in any of the band’s previous efforts. “Rule Number One” chants repeatedly, “Instinct takes over / instinct commands us,” and this speaks to the entire LP. Sleigh Bells gave the reins to instinct with “Jessica Rabbit,” and the result is a wild, unique experience.