Men's cross country advances to NCAA Championships

<p>With a ninth place finish overall&nbsp;in the Men's 10k race at the NCAA Southeast Regional, senior Zach Herriott helped his team earn an automatic bid to the NCAA Championships. Virginia cross country finished second with a total score of 105.</p>

With a ninth place finish overall in the Men's 10k race at the NCAA Southeast Regional, senior Zach Herriott helped his team earn an automatic bid to the NCAA Championships. Virginia cross country finished second with a total score of 105.

The Virginia men’s cross country team ran its way to an automatic bid in the NCAA Championships with a second place finish in the NCAA Southeast Regional Championships. The Cavaliers finished with a team score of 105, trailing first place finisher North Carolina State by only 15 points.

Senior Zach Herriott lead the charge in the Men’s 10K race with a time of 29:17.0. Herriott finished ninth place overall in the race. Not far behind Herriott was freshman Lachlan Cook in 12th place for the Cavaliers with a time of 29:31.1.

As a team, Virginia men finished with a total time of 2:29.08.50, with an average time of 29:49.70. It was a great showing for a team that looks to continue to make noise in the upcoming NCAA Championships.

The Cavalier women finished sixth place in last week’s NCAA Southeast Regional Championships. The women competed in the 6K race.

Leading the way for Virginia was sophomore Emily Mulhern in eighth place overall. Her final time was 20:37.3. The next best Cavalier, senior Sarah Astin, did not finish until 35th place. As a team, Virginia finished with a score of 190, far behind the first place score of 53 by NC State.

Unfortunately, the women’s team was not selected as an at-large team for the upcoming NCAA Championships, ending their 2016 season.