​Swim and dive hosts second meet Friday

Cavaliers seek wins against Michigan and Penn State

<p>Senior Austin Quinn and the Virginia swimming and diving teams are preparing for a big home meet this weekend against Michigan and Penn State.</p>

Senior Austin Quinn and the Virginia swimming and diving teams are preparing for a big home meet this weekend against Michigan and Penn State.

The Virginia swim and dive teams started their seasons off strong two Fridays ago, as both the men’s and women’s teams defeated ACC opponent Pittsburgh. The women’s team came out on top, 187-108, while the men won, 186.5-108.5 In addition, the Cavaliers took first in 27 out of 28 swimming events.

“The Pitt meet was a good one to get us into the season,” senior Shannon Rauth said. “We don’t look at any meet as a breeze. We all give everything we have because we know we only have a certain number of times to race a year. Against Pitt, people really got into their races and swam very fast for this time of the year.”

The men’s side echoed a similarly positive outlook on the meet.

“The younger half of the team has done a great job,” senior Austin Quinn said. “Swimmers are coming into their roles very fast and are contributing right away, much faster than I have seen in the past. For them to contribute in so impactful a way so early is great for the team.”

Underclassmen are certainly making their presence felt in the pool for the Cavaliers. In the meet against Pitt, freshman John Whiteside finished first in the 100 free with a time of 45:26, and freshman Ted Schubert captured the men’s 400 IM in 3:55.54.

Freshmen also stood out in the diving competition. Freshman Bryce Shelton secured second on the men’s 3-meter with a score of 380.32, while on the women’s side freshman Sydney Dusel placed second on the 1-meter with a score of 264.75.

This weekend will provide a new test for Virginia, as it hosts Big Ten opponents Michigan and Penn State. In their first meets of the season the Wolverines defeated Louisville, while the Nittany Lions defeated Towson.

“We try to look at this weekend the same as any other dual-meet,” Quinn said. “You’re just going out in each race trying to place the highest that you can. Going into two-day meets you just have to focus on taking care of yourself, warming down right after races, fueling your body properly and just getting ready to race every time you’re up on the blocks.”

While not as strong of a team as Michigan, Penn State has its fair share of talented swimmers. Senior Shane Ryan was an All-American in the 2014-15 season in the 100 backstroke, while senior Katelyn Sowinski competed in the 2016 Olympic trials in the 400 meter and 800 meter free.

Michigan will provide the biggest test for Virginia, especially on the men’s side. Freshman Jacob Montague captured Big Ten freshman of the week honors earlier in the month after winning two events and finishing second and third in two others in his collegiate debut against Louisville.

The women of Michigan are also very strong — junior Clara Smiddy continues to impress. Last season she was an NCAA All-American, Big Ten champion and Olympic trials participant. Junior Gabby DeLoof is also a strong racer for the Wolverines. She participated in the 2016 Olympic trials and is a two-time Big Ten champion.

“Michigan is a very strong team,” coach Augie Busch said. “They are deep in everything and have great breaststrokers. To win this meet we will have to win close races, and be the most supportive team on the deck. Our target is the University of Georgia Invitational the first week of December, and no meet is going to take our eyes off of that target.”

The University of Georgia Fall Invitational is hosted in Athens, Ga. Every year, the meet attracts some of the nation’s best swimmers. Meets like the one hosted by Virginia this Saturday provide good practice against non-ACC teams like the ones the Cavaliers will race in Athens.

“I think going up against non-conference competition helps,” Quinn said. “You see a lot of familiar faces when you’re swimming teams in the ACC. When you swim teams out of conference, it helps you focus solely on racing. You aren’t worried about who is swimming next to you — you’re just focused on beating them.”

While the Cavaliers know Michigan and Penn State present strong competition, they are confident going into this weekend’s meet. Regardless of the outcome, it will provide Virginia with a great chance to prepare for larger meets in the coming season.

The meet will begin Friday at 5 p.m. at the Aquatic and Fitness Center in Charlottesville.