Virginia vs. Miami: a breakdown

Keys to the game and players to watch for Cavaliers vs. Hurricanes

<p>Senior tailback Daniel Hamm's punt returns have been an asset for Virginia's special teams unit this season.&nbsp;</p>

Senior tailback Daniel Hamm's punt returns have been an asset for Virginia's special teams unit this season. 

Three keys to the game

The red zone is Virginia’s zone

Virginia’s red-zone offense has been solid all season. The Cavaliers have scored on 27 out of their last 30 opportunities in the red zone. 24 of those scores have been touchdowns, and three of them field goals. Currently, Virginia’s 80 percent effectiveness in the red zone ranks third in the nation.

Protect the quarterback

Virginia’s offensive line has struggled to protect junior quarterback Kurt Benkert so far, and the Cavaliers rank 108th nationally in sacks allowed. On the other hand, Miami’s defense has terrorized quarterbacks so far, ranking 28th in the nation in sacks. The offensive line will need to keep Benkert protected if Virginia hopes to get past the Hurricanes.

Minimize mistakes

The story of Virginia’s game against Wake Forest last week can be summed up by mistakes. The Cavaliers turned the ball over three times, giving the Demon Deacons opportunities to get ahead. Virginia couldn’t afford to do this last week, and can’t afford to do the same against the Hurricanes, who rank 17th in the nation in scoring defense.

Three U.Va. players to watch

Taquan Mizzell

Frequently a player to watch on Virginia’s offensive end, Mizzell could make history Saturday. The Virginia Beach native needs only 10 receiving yards to be the first player in ACC history to tally at least 1,500 career receiving and 1,500 career rushing yards.

Daniel Hamm

This season, Hamm has consistently put Virginia in good positions on punt returns. So far, the senior has returned 21 punts for a total of 190 yards. Hamm is the best punt returner the Cavaliers have seen in a while, as his 190 yards and his nine yards per return is the best for Virginia since Vic Hall in 2007.

Olamide Zaccheaus

Zaccheaus has been one of Benkert’s favorite targets all season. With 39 receptions, the sophomore leads the Cavaliers with 467 receiving yards and six touchdowns. Zaccheaus is also tied for third in the nation for the most receptions of 70-plus yards.

Three Miami players to watch

Corn Elder

Elder has been a major part of leading Miami’s stifling defense. The senior has totaled 56 tackles through nine games this season, including 3.5 tackles for loss and two sacks. Elder’s nine pass break ups leads the Hurricanes. If his name sounds familiar, it’s because he’s the one who took the final lateral of Miami’s miracle 91-yard kick return to beat Duke last season.

Ahmmon Richards

Miami’s freshman wide receiver is a favorite target of junior quarterback Brad Kaaya. Richards currently leads the Hurricanes with 632 receiving yards so far this season. Richards has earned ACC Rookie of the Week honors twice this season, and his 632 yards rank first nationally among all FBS freshmen.

Mark Walton

Walton currently leads the Hurricanes with 774 rushing yards. This past weekend, the sophomore running back ran for 125 yards and a touchdown. Walton, joined by junior running back Joe Yearby, have compiled 1,296 rushing yards so far this season. The only other rushing duo in the ACC that has more yards are Louisville’s Lamar Jackson and Brandon Radcliff.