Volleyball drops both matches in final road trip

spjasmineburtonvaathetics

Senior Jasmine Burton kept Virginia in a close contest with North Carolina State over the weekend. The senior tallied 18 kills, but the Cavaliers fell in 5 sets to the Wolfpack.

Courtesy Virginia Athletics

After two big road wins last weekend, the Virginia volleyball team (7-23, 4-14 ACC) fell short in both of its matches this weekend against No. 6 North Carolina (25-3, 17-1 ACC) and North Carolina State (18-12, 11-7 ACC).

The Cavaliers had the daunting task of playing an elite Tar Heel team Friday at their home gym. League leader North Carolina took down Virginia in straight sets by limiting its offensive attack.

The Cavaliers took their opponent to a tiebreak in the first set, but could not eclipse 20 points in either of the final two sets. Senior Haley Kole led Virginia with 13 kills, while freshman Julia Scoles excelled with 10 kills to lead the Tar Heels.

For the third Sunday in a row, the Cavaliers got locked into a thriller with their opponent, but this week fell short against NC State, 3-2. The Wolfpack started off strong with a dominating win in the first set and a tiebreak victory in the second set, but Virginia edged them out in the next two sets to force a deciding fifth set.

NC State would take the last set to spoil a strong upset bid by Virginia. Senior Jasmine Burton led the Cavaliers with 18 kills while sophomore Teni Sopitan led the Wolfpack with 16.

Virginia will take on Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh this weekend for its final two games of the regular season.

related stories