What to look for on Tuesday's ballot

The presidency isn't the only thing students will be voting for Nov. 8

<p>All students registered to vote at their University address will vote for a candidate in the 5th district and on the state amendments.&nbsp;</p>

All students registered to vote at their University address will vote for a candidate in the 5th district and on the state amendments. 

On Nov. 8, Virginia voters will not only cast their ballots for president but also for amendments to the state’s constitution and congressional candidates. Voters in Albemarle County will also vote on a bond referendum.

On the Virginia ballot, the Republican ticket is represented by Donald Trump and his running mate Mike Pence, while Hillary Clinton and running mate Tim Kaine represent the Democratic ticket. Libertarian Gary Johnson and running mate Bill Weld are on the Libertarian ticket, Jill Stein and Ajamu Baraka represent the Green Party and Evan McMullin and running mate Mindy Finn are the independent candidates.

Nathan Johnson is listed as McMullin’s running mate on the ballot as a “temporary placeholder,” as McMullin needed to submit a name for vice president prior to the registration deadline.

Voters in Charlottesville will choose either Democrat Jane Dittmar or Republican Tom Garrett to hold the fifth district’s congressional seat for the next two years.

In addition, there are two state constitutional amendments on the ballot concerning Virginia’s right-to-work law and tax exemptions for spouses of first responders.

Right-to-work laws prohibit employers from making labor union membership a condition of employment. Currently, 26 states have some form of this law in place.

Arguments for right-to-work-laws usually center on protecting businesses, while arguments against usually cast such laws as threats to unions.

Although Virginia has had a right-to-work-law for over 70 years, Albemarle County General Registrar Jake Washburne said the proposed amendment would move the statute from the Code of Virginia to Virginia’s constitution.

“It would be the exact same law, but if it went into the constitution it would be much more difficult to repeal,” Washburne said.

If the second proposed amendment passes, the Virginia General Assembly will be able to enact a law that allows localities to extend property tax breaks to spouses of first responders who were killed in the line of duty, such as firefighters and law enforcement officers.

This amendment is similar to a current section of the state constitution that allows property tax exemptions for the joint properties of a disabled veteran and their spouse, as well as for the spouse of a deceased veteran until remarriage.

Those registered in Albemarle County will be voting on a bond referendum, which would authorize the issuance of $35 million in general obligation bonds to fund various school renovations if passed.

To cover the bonds’ interest rates, there may be a property tax rate increase of 1.3 cents, which would be the equivalent of $37.05 for the median Albemarle household.

Students who are registered to vote in Virginia and have listed their address in the Alderman Road dorms; McCormick Road dorms; Brown College; Lambeth, Copeley and Faulkner Apartments; Gooch and Dillard Dorms; the Lawn and the Range; and houses on the west side of Rugby Road up through Lambeth Lane are registered in Albemarle County and will therefore vote on the bond referendum.

Students registered to vote in the City of Charlottesville — which includes those living on 14th Street, Wertland Street, Jefferson Park Avenue, West Main Street, the Flats, Uncommon Apartments, Bice House, any of the language houses and the International Residential College — will not have the referendum on their ballot.