​Women’s basketball splits matches at South Point Shootout

<p>Junior forward Lauren Moses earned All-Tournament honors after scoring a game-high 19 points against Nebraska.</p>

Junior forward Lauren Moses earned All-Tournament honors after scoring a game-high 19 points against Nebraska.

The Virginia women’s basketball team spent its Thanksgiving weekend in Las Vegas at the South Point Shootout tournament. After an opening game loss against St. John’s Friday, the Cavaliers (5-1) defeated Nebraska Saturday. Junior forward Lauren Moses was selected to the All-Tournament Team.

Virginia opened its first game evenly matched against the Red Storm (2-3), taking a slim three-point lead into halftime. However, St. John’s came out strong in the third quarter, taking the lead midway and pulling away in the fourth quarter to secure a 66-55 victory over the Cavaliers.

Junior guard Aliyah Huland El led Virginia with 16 points, while sophomore guard Akina Wellere dropped 20 points to lead the the Red Storm. St. John’s would go on to lose to Arizona State in the tournament’s final.

Virginia responded to its first loss of the season with a solid team win over Nebraska (4-3) Saturday. The Cavaliers made 56.3 percent of its shots in the first half to take a commanding lead and never looked back after a strong third quarter, taking down the Cornhuskers, 73-51.

Moses earned All-Tournament honors after dropping a game-high 19 points en route to the win. She was aided by a trio of Cavaliers guards who scored double digits — Huland El with 14 points, freshman guard Jocelyn Willoughby with 12 and junior guard J’Kyra Brown with 11.

The Cavaliers’ 5-1 record bodes well going into the ACC-Big 10 Challenge when they take on Northwestern (5-1) in Evanston, Ill. Thursday.