Wrestling's momentum continues at Mat Town Open

<p>Senior Will Mason claimed the championship in the 133 pound weight class.</p>

Senior Will Mason claimed the championship in the 133 pound weight class.

The Virginia wrestling team competed in its second open tournament of the season this weekend when it traveled to Lock Haven, Pa. to compete at the Mat Town Open. Coach Steve Garland’s squad has been working hard to perfect its technique over the course of the season, and the team saw success Sunday.

The Cavaliers had four wrestlers place at the tournament, with senior Will Mason leading the way and claiming a championship in his weight class. Mason competed at 133 pounds and swept through his three matches to claim the second open championship of his career.

The three other Virginia wrestlers who placed were senior Ray Bethea, who finished second at 165 pounds, sophomore Fox Baldwin, who finished third at 174 pounds and freshman Sam Martino, who took fourth at 149 pounds.

Bethea made it to the final before dropping a 4-0 decision, resulting in a second place finish.

Baldwin performed well, with each of his matches decided by a fall. He pinned his first two opponents but was pinned himself in his third bout. Baldwin then came back to took down his next two opponents in under a minute to finish 4-1 and take his third place trophy.

It was a great performance by the Cavaliers which kept up their momentum from last week, when the team defeated Lock Haven 24-16 and Maryland 22-13.

Virginia will return to action Friday to face Gardner-Webb in Boiling Springs, N.C.